Solved

How to check backup differential with minio

• 16 November 2023
  • 3 comments

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I am using kasten-io with an S3 bucket with MinIO. For a long time I have wanted to view the backups and see if they are actually being saved in the S3 bucket.

Is there a way to see the differential of backups that I have in the mini?

In the Kasten-io dashboard, is there a way to see what restore point exists to import it to the destination?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by FRubens 16 November 2023, 21:45

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @jesus.rosales,

Checking Restore points can be done from K10 dashboard, go to "Applications", search for the desired application you would like to check the RPs (Restore Points), and depending in which K10 version you are using:

• 6.0.7+: Click over the 3 dots and select "Restore"
  • Previous versions: In the Application's card click in the "Restore" button

The restore screen will appear containing all restore points local/exported, from here you can check how many RPs you have locally/exported, restore the application or manually delete RPs if needed:

If you click in any of the restore points it will show details, for the local and exported including the location profile that contains the backup, date/time and application name. Where the blue one is local and green is exported, that means the RP exported to your S3.

This will give you the information about you daily backups/export.

More information can be found in our documentation:

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/protect.html

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/restore.html

Hope it helps.

Rubens

Userlevel 2

Hello Rubens,

Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if you can make a diff in the MinIO (mc commands) between 2 different Restore Points?

Regards.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @jesus.rosales 

The format of the exported data from K10 is not a single file, there are repository folders for data and metada with hundred of files inside, that are not actually 1:1 copy of your files they have a specific format for K10 to maintain those repositories. These files were  compressed and deduplicated, and they can have references between repositories from different dates.

That being said I think that running a diff command on Minio between those repositories will not give you any useful real data regarding differences between restore points.

I would not use this as a retention check, the recommended way is to check your restore points for the application on K10 dashboard, there you can see how many versions you have and the dates and compare with your retention setup in the policy.

Hope it answer your question.

Rubens

Comment