Question

Generic storage backup with free license

Hi,

I have an instance of Kasten K10 on the free license, and need to use Generic Volume backup.
I have already requested and received a Generic Volume Backup key from support and updated my helm installation to include the key.

I have also configured Kanister sidecar injection, and the sidecar containers are injected correctly.
However, if I try to run a backup of the application used for testing, I run into this error message:

{
"message":"Failed to backup data to Kopia API server",
"function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/kanister/function.(*backupDataToServerFunc).Exec",
"linenumber":155,
"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/kanister/function/backup_data_to_server.go:155",
"cause": {
"message":"Failed to establish connection to Kopia API server",
"function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/kanister/function.backupDataToServer",
"linenumber":218,
"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/kanister/function/backup_data_to_server.go:218",
"message":"Failed while waiting for Kopia API server to start",
"function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/kopiaapiserver.WaitTillCommandSucceeds",
"linenumber":56,
"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/kopiaapiserver/wait.go:56",
"message":"Failed to exec command in pod: command terminated with exit code 126.\nstdout: OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: exec /usr/local/bin/kopia: operation not permitted: unknown\nstderr: "
}
}
}
}

I couldn’t find anything on this or a similar error message anywhere online.
Has anyone experienced this before and can point me in a direction on what to look for?

Thank you all very much!

Kind regards,
Felix

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@FRubens 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @felix.teupke,

Would you please let me know if you are on OCP cluster and which K10 version?

That could be related to the default SCC that are being applied to the kanister sidecar pods, that does not have the capabilities necessary to the execution.

If you please check which SCC is being used in the kanister pods, the right one should be k10-scc or a SCC that has the following capabilities:

Docs: https://docs.kasten.io/latest/install/generic.html#required-capabilities-for-generic-storage-backup

- CHOWN
- DAC_OVERRIDE
- FOWNER

Regards

Rubens

Comment