VMware vCenter Converter no longer available

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Today I’ve discovered an interesting blog article about the VMware vCenter Converter. Apparently VMware has removed it from the Downloads, so it’s no longer available for the public. The reasons for this is, that there hasn’t been any development in the last years and it already went end of support in Decemter 2019 (!), which I didn’t know.

VMware is working on a new release of the Converter and it will be exciting to see how the next release will look like and what it’s capable of.

Here’s the blog post for reference: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2022/02/vcenter-converter-unavailable-for-download.html

While the vCenter Converter was a great piece of software which I’ve used many times in my IT career, I haven’t used it since some time. The last times I had to convert physical systems or VMs to a different Hypervisor, I’ve had the luck that those customers were using Veeam. So instead of relying on the Converter or a different 3rd party tool, I restored the system with Veeam. This works very well, the source/backup is in a consistent state and it’s much faster then any converter.

How do you handle such tasks and have you used Veeam to convert physical systems before?

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Migrated some VMs from Nutanix AHV to VmWare today with Veeam instead of using the vmware converter.

Works really great 👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Migrated some VMs from Nutanix AHV to VmWare today with Veeam instead of using the vmware converter.

Works really great 👍 

Nice!  That would have been interesting never used Nutanix.

Comment