Veeam Community Points system

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I was wondering how the point system works for this community.   I see some people that are brand new at 600 points, then people who have topics and comments at only a few points.   I can see when I am active, points being added.

Can someone confirm if this is correct. I am assuming if you are not active your points go down month after month.  I am also at the assumption when you are a new member you are starting around 500-600 points.

I joined a while ago and wasn’t active for a bit, so I’m just trying to make sense of why brand new users have so many more points :) 

56 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Scott 8am GMT is when I’ve noticed the points import from R&D 😊 don’t know how it tracks to any daylight savings however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This was/is a great thread! 😂 Some things I already knew...quite a bit I ddin’t. Thanks for the addtional info @Madi.Cristil , @Rick Vanover , and host of others.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

At the time the forum points sync was introduced, the sync happened around 12pm each day.

Burst my bubble will ya! haha

To do a real test I'll need the time zone 🤣

😎 Kseniya didn’t tell me the timezone at this time. I assume it’s the timezone where the community is hosted. And no, I don’t know where it is hosted.

I have asked the same question at the time the integration was new and the answer was the points are synchronized each day around 12 pm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

At the time the forum points sync was introduced, the sync happened around 12pm each day.

Burst my bubble will ya! haha

To do a real test I'll need the time zone 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Update.. I left work yesterday and have 31 new points. I doubt I have 31 new likes, so perhaps it does do the daily sync after all!.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone that searches going forward. 

Thank you for the update, @Scott !😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Update.. I left work yesterday and have 31 new points. I doubt I have 31 new likes, so perhaps it does do the daily sync after all!.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone that searches going forward. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cheers @Geoff Burke - I’ll be as transparent as we can with @Madi.Cristil  → one question we had this time was “where is the bottom” of new Legends? So then we started looking at context, type of engagement, etc. We’re learning as we go!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

wow this thread has taken on a life of its own, reminds me of my email chain with the accountant around tax time i.e. what the IRS/CRA counts as points what it does not :) :) 

However, in the latter case I am furiously trying to make my point count be lower :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey I’m very late to the reply here, thank you @Madi.Cristil for engaging. I’d add that we have made some changes, for example “liking” does not give you points, but “being liked” does. So keep liking but don’t be gaming the system in that regard. 

The platform does so much of it for us and it is configurable, we’ll probably make some more changes from the initial setup from Kseniya. We just onboarded H2 Legends (Madi and I) and that as a totally new process for us. 

The data is much of it. The context and ‘rest of the story’ is a part of it too. One thing I’ll say is that for the people we engage with on the high end of the points, sometimes ‘life happens’ and we need to take activity changes with context.

This sounds like the a reasonable system then. Common sense and good judgment.

I’m a musician and have a few product endorsements where the requirements are l pretty intense, but then it comes down to having a reasonable Artist Relations Manager put the human touch on things.  Maybe I didn’t tour or play enough gigs, but my YouTube content was up, or the pandemic caused a lull etc.  The data is needed, but not always a full picture. 

That being said, if you guys start to make Veeam drumsticks as swag I’ll be all over it. :)

We had drumsticks one year… The swag we’ve done...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It doesn’t seem like it’s working for me, but I’ll do a few tests to see. 

I did follow that, My email is the same and account is set up in my profile. 

I’ll have to start logging my points to find out haha. Like I said, not too concerned about it, was just curious. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I tested posting in the Veeam R&D forums and my points don’t increase here.  It’s not a huge issue but my email is the same at both places. Does my username need to be the same or is putting it in my profile name here good enough?

Everything looks good. Odd

Hey @Scott ! The activity you do on the Forums won't give you points in here, you will accumulate them in there ( @Mildur can give more details on that) and when we do the evaluation in February, we will look into a report we receive from the Forums team, counting the points ( as well as looking into the quality of the content you share) and make a decision based on all these. 

Let me know if this is not clear! 😊  

Ahhhhh. You couldn’t be more clear :)

Ok. I’ve been posting in there for years. For some reason I thought they would sync up.  Thanks again!

They won't! But you are already doing great in here 😊

I thought they did sync up Madi?  I remember Kseniya getting this set up so that when posting in Forums you get points here?  I could be wrong but see my totals go up when I post in the Forums (I think LOL).

@Chris.Childerhose and @Scott , there is an integration but it might not work properly: 

@Scott please make sure you follow the steps in this post and let me know if the points are updated or not. (only once per day) 

So I am not crazy 🤣. Yeah I knew this was there and as Joe mentioned the sync seemed to be end of day and you see the points next day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey I’m very late to the reply here, thank you @Madi.Cristil for engaging. I’d add that we have made some changes, for example “liking” does not give you points, but “being liked” does. So keep liking but don’t be gaming the system in that regard. 

The platform does so much of it for us and it is configurable, we’ll probably make some more changes from the initial setup from Kseniya. We just onboarded H2 Legends (Madi and I) and that as a totally new process for us. 

The data is much of it. The context and ‘rest of the story’ is a part of it too. One thing I’ll say is that for the people we engage with on the high end of the points, sometimes ‘life happens’ and we need to take activity changes with context.

This sounds like the a reasonable system then. Common sense and good judgment.

I’m a musician and have a few product endorsements where the requirements are l pretty intense, but then it comes down to having a reasonable Artist Relations Manager put the human touch on things.  Maybe I didn’t tour or play enough gigs, but my YouTube content was up, or the pandemic caused a lull etc.  The data is needed, but not always a full picture. 

That being said, if you guys start to make Veeam drumsticks as swag I’ll be all over it. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I tested posting in the Veeam R&D forums and my points don’t increase here.  It’s not a huge issue but my email is the same at both places. Does my username need to be the same or is putting it in my profile name here good enough?

Hey @Scott ! The activity you do on the Forums won't give you points in here, you will accumulate them in there ( @Mildur can give more details on that) and when we do the evaluation in February, we will look into a report we receive from the Forums team, counting the points ( as well as looking into the quality of the content you share) and make a decision based on all these. 

Ok. I’ve been posting in there for years. For some reason I thought they would sync up.  Thanks again!

I thought they did sync up Madi?  I remember Kseniya getting this set up so that when posting in Forums you get points here?  I could be wrong but see my totals go up when I post in the Forums (I think LOL).

@Chris.Childerhose and @Scott , there is an integration but it might not work properly: 

@Scott please make sure you follow the steps in this post and let me know if the points are updated or not. (only once per day) 

As far as I know are the points from the forums synched once a day. So, your community points does not increase immidiatly.

And you have to put your forum username into your community profile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris.Childerhose and @Scott , there is an integration but it might not work properly: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey I’m very late to the reply here, thank you @Madi.Cristil for engaging. I’d add that we have made some changes, for example “liking” does not give you points, but “being liked” does. So keep liking but don’t be gaming the system in that regard. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I will check it out to see if there is any integration in place. Maybe we do have but it is not working properly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @Scott ! The activity you do on the Forums won't give you points in here, you will accumulate them in there ( @Mildur can give more details on that) and when we do the evaluation in February, we will look into a report we receive from the Forums team, counting the points ( as well as looking into the quality of the content you share) and make a decision based on all these. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Those who have 600 points and are new entry in this community it’s because they have completed all Veeam University courses.

This was more of what I was wondering.

As I stated in my last post, I try to provide added value with my posts and not a bunch of nonsense. I was just wondering why the people around me had so many points for 0 topics or comments. I figured I may have been doing something wrong and hope this topic provides clarity if someone else uses the search function!  I did that first and didn’t see much. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Where can I check how many points I’ve collected so far? Can’t find it in my profile...

@MattMThat’s interesting, I would have thought that you get listed at the top of the “all time” leaderboard anyways (above 1st place). Did you switch from weekly to all time?

I don’t see @MattM on the weekly list either - you made 3 comments in this thread today, so you should be on the weekly list. Seems that there is something wrong...

???

Yes, the weekly list is resetted every Sunday night.
But Matt has made 3 comments today. So, you should be on the weekly list now.

It might not update immediately. Do you usually get the points as you post, or does it take a while? 

In most times the points are updated at once, sometimes it takes 1 - 2 minutes, but not several hours….

Got it! I just realized @MattM is a Veeam employee, that's why he is not getting points. He is not going to show up in the Leaderboard. He can't be a Legend, he can only be a MVP. 

🤣🤣🤣 ok, I hadn’t seen this. As a Veeam employee Matt will get no (visible) points…. he will get the points registered in the system, but they will not be shown on the leaderboard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

Points are not everything. Also the quality of the posts should be good :) I believe the team checks them too.

Shouldn‘t be confirmation posts like „I would do the same“. That adds no value to the discussion. Just give a like on posts you find valuable. That helps others to see that you think the answer was a good one.

You get probably the most points with writing your own Blog post about a veeam topic or related to veeam.

Then commenting on others topics also give you points, even better if your answer was marked as the best one.

Thanks

Fabian

This is a great post. I fully agree that having multiple people add in “I agree” doesn’t add value. Explaining why or giving an example is much better.

I should have been clear I’m not trying to just spam and get points :) . I was mostly curious and wondering if they go down if you were not active for a few months. 

Comment