Question

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Invalid username or password

Userlevel 5
Badge

hi

I first created local users and made them members of the portal administrator
I removed the enterprise manager server from the domain and now it works as a workgroup.
Now I have the Error of invalid username or password
Does anyone have a solution?

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you try logging in with the format LOCALHOST\username? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Did you try logging in with the format LOCALHOST\username? 

yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And, the local users are in the local Administrators group? 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes, the users are both local admins and members of the portal administrator group in the enterprise manager
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Is this logging into the server or Enterprise Manager UI?

If it is the UI have you checked things like Windows event logs and Veeam logs in %programdata%

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @miriam1989 

Check these KB
Locations to Check for Incorrect Username/Password Issues
https://www.veeam.com/kb1900

How to Force Enterprise Manager Login to Use Form-Based Authentication

https://www.veeam.com/kb2089

When you installed VEM how did you set up access to the SQL Database?

Or install Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and try logging into the SQL DB with Local Administrator to see if you can authenticate.

If not, uninstall and reinstall EM with Local Administrator user 

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, the users are both local admins and members of the portal administrator group in the enterprise manager

Ok. When I was testing this myself in the Fall..I believe I encountered the same issue. Don’t think I ever got it to work. I had to use the actual local server Administrator account. I assume at least that user works for logging in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @miriam1989 - did you also try to login without the localhost name in the username? According to the EM User Guide for Accounts, the domain piece is optional. I know with the local admin account, you don’t need it. Wondering if local users who are also local admins need the hostname or not. Try without the hostname in the user format (i.e. user; pwd and not localhost/user; pwd).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@coolsport00  I understood that he had tried logging into the VEM portal with Local Administrator on the server where it was installed and failed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Link State - no, the author said they tried logging in with local users who are in the local admin group and it failed. Different than using local default admin account. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Then you should be able to log in with Local Administrator of the server on which VEM is installed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could always try uninstalling VEM and then reinstall it pointing back to the database to see if that works. Otherwise reinstall it with a new DB as recreating things within VEM is not that bad like VBR recreating jobs, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Then you should be able to log in with Local Administrator of the server on which VEM is installed.

Yes.

Something I didn’t try/attempt when I was testing this in the Fall..I think my local user accounts were failing login as well. I wonder if the user has to log in to the server, then log in to EM with the account and not just attempt to log in to EM without having logged into the server before?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes.

Something I didn’t try/attempt when I was testing this in the Fall..I think my local user accounts were failing login as well. I wonder if the user has to log in to the server, then log in to EM with the account and not just attempt to log in to EM without having logged into the server before?

theoretically can log in with the user directly from the portal

He could then create a local group and enable it on the EM side as portal user Administrator

Comment