Question

Rman Delete Archive Logs

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 6 comments

Hi all,
We have a problem with oracle archive log files
We are migrating backups from HP Dataprotector to Veeam Backup & Replication 12. We create a job using Veeam Plug-in for Rman. In the "Database Prossesing settings" window’s, we choose the option "DELETE archived redo logs that were backed up". The ARCHLOGS are deleted, OK, but With HP DATAPROTECTOR we used a script with these commands:

archivelog until time 'sysdate-3'
 not backed up 1 times;
delete NOPROMPT archivelog all completed before 'sysdate -7' backed up 1 times to sbt;
crosscheck archivelog all;

How do we do it with Veeam?

Adrian

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can use your RMAN scripts with the Veeam plugin for RMAN.
Just change the target definition with the output the plugin configuration gives you.

I am not sure which "Database Processing settings" windows you are referring to.

Userlevel 2

Thank you JMeixner,

we created the job from the Veeam console, image attached. There are few options
Can we use a Rman script from the Veeam console?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, yes, you are using the new V12 server administered plugins.
I am using the standalone plugins up to now.

With the standalone plugins the “normal” RMAN scripts are used by the DBAs and the definitions for Veeam are added to these scripts.

I assume that there is a RMAN script generated by this process where you can add your commands.
Unfortunately I have no test Oracle server for this at the moment… 🤔

Userlevel 2
Yes, we assume that too, but we couldn't find the Rman script to add this option. There are too many "assumptions". So the advice is that DBAs use normal Rman scripts? but do we lose control from the Veeam console? What documentation could we consult?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @adrigo 

by default script is in /backup/rman/ path. 

but with rman command 

rman target /

you can see all options.

Userlevel 2
Hi Andanet Thank you
no, that option is for VM backup, We are using the V12 server administered plugins Rman
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi Andanet Thank you
no, that option is for VM backup, We are using the V12 server administered plugins Rman

Sorry I changed my reply because was not submitted with vm backup option. 

check rman command

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@PetrM could probably answer the question i think :)
Still running RMAN plugins push mode but it’s on my to do list with my colleague, we tried on dev cluster the switch to the new mode but it was more difficult than we thought and it will take more time to test it before production switch.

Hello!

Not sure that I understand what is the issue with the option "DELETE archived redo logs that were backed up"?

You don’t need to take care of RMAN scripts if you use the policy, scripts triggered by our policy are hard coded and there is no option to change them. If there is a need to change them, I’d like to know why :)

However, standalone plug-in is always an option and you may use any scripts that you want.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @PetrM , I understand scripts are hard coded, but how can I specify a recovery catalog target? do I have to use the standalone plugin or there is another way using the managed plugin?

Sorry for this dumb question, I know I need to study Oracle more in depth! 😅

Comment