Skip to main content
Question

Oracle RMAN plugin backup did not delete archive logs from DB

Hello. I create backup job with RMAN plugin. When I started backup it is running normal and taking backup. I also selected in configuration to delete archive logs after completing backup. Backup completed successfully but not delete archive logs from DB. Can you please help me to solve this problem ? Thanks in advance

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @tural183 , 

keep in mind that Veeam is only acting as an intermediary to the RMAN tool, I can almost guarantee that the problem is related to user permissions.

You haven’t specified the Oracle OS but supposing it’s a Linux server you know Oracle logs are generated with DBA or Oinstall groups. 

So your Veeam user added during backup job creation MUST be in DBA and Oinstall groups.

In console, under Running jobs, you can find a child job still running as shown 

In this windows you can see some errors? 

Please let me know… 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’m pretty sure the child job window shown in @Andanet’s post will only be available when performing image level backups of VMs or Agents (with database log processing enabled in the guest processing settings), but NOT when using the RMAN plugin.

For retention processing, you’d either need to configure RMAN directly (see here), or set appropriate parameters within the policy created on the VBR server (see here) - depending on the way you deploy/manage the plugin (“standalone” or “managed”).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @MattM with RMAN plugin in managed mode you can see child jobs. 

In its post tural says: 

I create backup job with RMAN plugin

For me this assume a plugin in managed mode. 

Surely more informations are missing… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @tural183 - I just wanted to follow up to see if you were able to resolve your issue with one of the posted comments or if you found another solution.  If you could update the thread and if one of the comments helped you mark that as best answer or if you found another solution post it and then mark it as best answer that would be great.  It will help others and the community to get answers/details for similar problems.

Comment