Question

issues with backing up files to drive then to tape

Userlevel 2

Hey I'm trying to achieve backing up multiple server files on one job then push to  tape as a secondary target but it's not working I trying using file copying job but it's taking too long to run the files can you please provide me with any suggestions?

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please check here for how file to tape works - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_to_tape_hiw.html?ver=120

Userlevel 2

@Chris.Childerhose i already know to do a file to tape i just want to back up some files from different servers to a drive first then to tape.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose i already know to do a file to tape i just want to back up some files from different servers to a drive first then to tape.

Then create a backup to tape job that uses the main job as the source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @nikolai.stewart -

Are you wanting to back up guest files (file shares or directories?) initially, then copy those to tape? Did you create a file share backup job to do so? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Set up your primary job to your drive/disk and then follow this to create a Backups to Tape job that will use that main job - Step 1. Launch New Backup to Tape Job Wizard - User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V (veeam.com)

Userlevel 2

Hi @nikolai.stewart -

Are you wanting to back up guest files (file shares or directories?) initially, then copy those to tape? Did you create a file share backup job to do so? 

This is what I’m trying to achieve. 

Userlevel 2

is it a case where I would have to create multiple backup job then push it to tape?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

is it a case where I would have to create multiple backup job then push it to tape?

Either one or multiple jobs to disk then the job(s) to tape you create using the primary disk jobs.

Userlevel 2

But it not allow me to backup multiple server files at once in one backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure I understand what you are saying here so it needs to be clearer.  You should be able to back up multiple files otherwise create more than one job so they don’t overlap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you saying the File Backup Job operation doesn’t allow you to backup multiple file servers? 
You first add the file share, and I’ll assume an SMB Share:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_backup_job.html?ver=120

Then, you create a Backup Job and during the File Backup wizard, for all File Shares (or Servers) you added, you should  be able to add multiple folders among different File Shares (or Servers).

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_backup_job_files_and_folders.html?ver=120

Are you saying you’re not able to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are wanting to backup the entire servers

Create the backup job with the servers and run it.

Create a File to tape job, and select the Veeam Repository as the source. 

Navigate to e:\Backups\BackupFolderName and back it up to tape. 

Why are you using a file to tape job though is the question? 

Use a Backup to Tape job. Select the job as the source

You can then delete the servers/job and import it much easier. 

If you are wanting to backup file to tape

Create a file share backup job and select specified folders.

Create a backup to tape job and select the backup used above.

In this case just running file to tape would work too and select the folders you want on tape. 

Comment