Skip to main content
Question

How to copy *.vib and *.vbk job from disk to tape

Need to release space from disk and copy all Veeam jobs to tape. We can then delete all jobs from disk and extend the space. What process can we use in Veeam so that all jobs are in tape and jobs can be deleted from disk.

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you set up a tape job that copies the backups it will copy either the fulls (VBK) or incrementals (VIB) or both depending how you set up the tape job.   Here is the best practices for this - Tape Operations | Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

There is a checkbox for Incrementals to tape in the job setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Here is the backup to tape process help - Creating Backup to Tape Jobs - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Note in here the sections for Full backups and Incremental backups which does both file types.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello
You could also use the File to Tape, Veeam will simple copy the files present in a folder directly to the tape. 
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_to_tape_jobs.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hello
You could also use the File to Tape, Veeam will simple copy the files present in a folder directly to the tape. 
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_to_tape_jobs.html?ver=120

Yes this would also work.  Thanks for sharing Stabz.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I have this File to tape Backup job, but it is selecting, Full backup, How do I copy all jobs from CVData2(H) to tape.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have this File to tape Backup job, but it is selecting, Full backup, How do I copy all jobs from CVData2(H) to tape.

On the second screenshot go to the Incremental backup option and ensure that is selected to copy the VIB files too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Tried to make modification to Incremental Backup and add VIB files but could not. Do you have screenshot or documents?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Tried to make modification to Incremental Backup and add VIB files but could not. Do you have screenshot or documents?

You don't add the VIB files just enabling that section will copy them to tape.  Just like you don't add the full files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @csaha77 - in the ‘Files and Folders’ section of this File to Tape Job wizard, you should just be able to select the CVData2 folder containing all the files (.vib’s and .vbk’s). When you run the job all files in the folder will be copied to Tape.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Incremental backup is enabled. IS there a way to check the contents of tape to see what is copied?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Incremental backup is enabled. IS there a way to check the contents of tape to see what is copied?

Should be able to. See this area of the Guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/view_files_on_tape.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You should see what is copied to the tape in the job log or you could do a right clic on the tape and go to Files tab

Userlevel 4

Hi @csaha77 , I follow the reverese way. I check in which tape is saved each backup job file.

I hope this helps ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @csaha77  - I just wanted to follow up to see if you were able to resolve your issue with one of the posted comments or if you found another solution.  If you could update the thread and if one of the comments helped you mark that as best answer or if you found another solution post it and then mark it as best answer that would be great.  It will help others and the community to get answers/details for similar problems.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We have ordered tape library and will be working on this issue when it arrives.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thank you for the update @csaha77 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sounds good and thanks for the update. 👍

Comment