Fun Friday: Will you be moving to VMware vSphere 7.x now?


Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Morning all,

Happy Friday!

As per @victorwu’s post, vSphere 7.0 U3c is now rereleased!

I’m not here to kick them when they’re down, but VMware didn’t have the best of times with vSphere 7.0, but after their divorce from Dell EMC and the subsequent pulling of vSphere 7.0U3c for quality concerns, will this release finally be worthy of the VMware name?

 

So, my question to you all. vSphere 6.5/6.7 are end of life later this year, so if you’re still on 6.5/6.7, will this release make you look at upgrading? Or are you still unsure and want to hold out until nearer the EOL?

 

Share your thoughts!


28 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So far I can neither say something good or bad, as I haven't heard anthing about U3c. So I would say this is quite good as any major bugs should have been discovered by now

Let’s just say I haven’t trusted VMware QA in quite some time. But, that’s good to know @MicoolPaul ..thanks.

Same, but more optimistic now Dell are out of the picture...

I hope they'll get back to their roots and focus on stability...

.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Let’s just say I haven’t trusted VMware QA in quite some time. But, that’s good to know @MicoolPaul ..thanks.

Same, but more optimistic now Dell are out of the picture...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Let’s just say I haven’t trusted VMware QA in quite some time. But, that’s good to know @MicoolPaul ..thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For what it’s worth, I’ve not seen any issues with it and I adopted it on about day two/three of release. But that’s my lab, not production...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My vCenter is on v7U2 but my ESXi Hosts are still on v7U1c. I’m scared to upgrade anything right now. Will await a bit longer before I move ahead with any further vSphere upgrades :) 

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

updated recently many vcenter to 6.5 or 6.7 to vsphere 7U3c without any problems (Veeam or vmware). Why? EOL obviously, RHEL 8 and openshift 4 support, VBS (virtualization based security) for Windows Credential Guard (Vsphere 6.7).

For the security part, i’m wondering if Veeam support as microsoft for the VBR. Avoiding mimikatz if it’s possible.

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 7 although I do have a couple clients out there with it. 

I will be deploying 7 on a new cluster in two days, but this is pre-U3c, so while I like to delay my updates a little bit, in this case, I’ll likely updated to 3c before putting these machines into production.

Thanks for sharing, okay follow up question:

 

Since vCenter 7.0 U3c is also available with the Log4j fixes, who’s ready to move to that?

Still planning with my customer and VMware team. For my case, the vCenter server is enabled the vCenter HA feature, we need to disable vCenter HA feature first before upgrade to 7.0 U3c. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 7 although I do have a couple clients out there with it. 

I will be deploying 7 on a new cluster in two days, but this is pre-U3c, so while I like to delay my updates a little bit, in this case, I’ll likely updated to 3c before putting these machines into production.

Thanks for sharing, okay follow up question:

 

Since vCenter 7.0 U3c is also available with the Log4j fixes, who’s ready to move to that?

 

We plan on rolling that out basically as soon as possible but I haven’t reviewed the fixes yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 7 although I do have a couple clients out there with it. 

I will be deploying 7 on a new cluster in two days, but this is pre-U3c, so while I like to delay my updates a little bit, in this case, I’ll likely updated to 3c before putting these machines into production.

Thanks for sharing, okay follow up question:

 

Since vCenter 7.0 U3c is also available with the Log4j fixes, who’s ready to move to that?

Already moved to that and ESXi as well in my homelab now that I can update the USB NIC Fling.  So far running well with no issues. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 7 although I do have a couple clients out there with it. 

I will be deploying 7 on a new cluster in two days, but this is pre-U3c, so while I like to delay my updates a little bit, in this case, I’ll likely updated to 3c before putting these machines into production.

Thanks for sharing, okay follow up question:

 

Since vCenter 7.0 U3c is also available with the Log4j fixes, who’s ready to move to that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 7 although I do have a couple clients out there with it. 

I will be deploying 7 on a new cluster in two days, but this is pre-U3c, so while I like to delay my updates a little bit, in this case, I’ll likely updated to 3c before putting these machines into production.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Our environment was already at 7.0u3b before they pulled it, but we don't have any issues with it.

I've just upgraded my lab to 7.0u3c. First strange thing already happened. It reported that at least one host was not compatible (it's running 7.03a) due to the duplicate intel driver issue and I should upgrade to 7.03c using the iso first before upgrading vCenter. However, after starting the vcenter upgrade for a second time, it let me proceed fine without throwing the error and updated fine.

Heads up on this, if you’ve got a host offline in your vCenter there’s a minor issue where an issue is being flagged as a driver issue but actually it’s just warning a host is offline..

Thank you for your info. :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Quite some customers running ESXi on SD/USB devices. Most of them are waiting for new boot devices. So I see a lot of upgrade tasks till next fall :grinning:

I am hopeful that this time U3 will work out. I think VMware is now taking quality seriously!

SD/USB devices boot on ESXi will be end of support on next edition. Suggest to move the M.2 devices boot for production environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Our environment was already at 7.0u3b before they pulled it, but we don't have any issues with it.

I've just upgraded my lab to 7.0u3c. First strange thing already happened. It reported that at least one host was not compatible (it's running 7.03a) due to the duplicate intel driver issue and I should upgrade to 7.03c using the iso first before upgrading vCenter. However, after starting the vcenter upgrade for a second time, it let me proceed fine without throwing the error and updated fine.

Heads up on this, if you’ve got a host offline in your vCenter there’s a minor issue where an issue is being flagged as a driver issue but actually it’s just warning a host is offline..

I’m giving it a try in my lab, but by the moment not touching my production servers, I’ve got my esxi installations on USB Flash drives, so right now I’m waiting until a USB solution, or maybe migrate my installations to a RAID 1 SSD disk arrangement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So far so good.  VC updated and two hosts with the USB NIC Fling too.  All working well so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Quite some customers running ESXi on SD/USB devices. Most of them are waiting for new boot devices. So I see a lot of upgrade tasks till next fall :grinning:

I am hopeful that this time U3 will work out. I think VMware is now taking quality seriously!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I think wait is the best option in order to have that latest release matured ! Is there any issues anybody heard till date ?

Precedent release caused Purple Screen of Dead and got pulled, is enough? 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think wait is the best option in order to have that latest release matured ! Is there any issues anybody heard till date ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

After they retired last version 7.0 U3b released because of causing PSOD?
Absolutely not, this time I wait.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m currently being brave and upgrading my lab! 😬

I just tried the VC but the URL issue is happening so downloaded the ISO file to try.

Userlevel 4

Our environment was already at 7.0u3b before they pulled it, but we don't have any issues with it.

I've just upgraded my lab to 7.0u3c. First strange thing already happened. It reported that at least one host was not compatible (it's running 7.03a) due to the duplicate intel driver issue and I should upgrade to 7.03c using the iso first before upgrading vCenter. However, after starting the vcenter upgrade for a second time, it let me proceed fine without throwing the error and updated fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’m currently being brave and upgrading my lab! 😬

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would like to wait one or two weeks and see how many problems are included this time….

Same here.  Also need to see about the USB NIC Fling too and if supported cause I use that in my homelab so cannot update hosts until confirmed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I can't see any problem to update to 7.0 U2 considering that the big problems comes out with 7.0 U3.

 

Comment