Skip to main content
Solved

Connect multiple Veeam sites

• 16 September 2024
  • 9 comments

Good day team,

Is there way to connect more than Veeam B&R server/software on different servers across both wan sites and/or locally?

How can this be achieved?

It is recommended that i install Veeam Enterprise Manager on the first server and/or site then start the  connecting. If so, is this free/does this require a license?

Any other method?

Yes you will want to use Enterprise Manager if you are looking to manage multiple VBR servers.  If you have a license already the VEM product is included.

About Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager - Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Guide

Yes you will want to use Enterprise Manager if you are looking to manage multiple VBR servers.  If you have a license already the VEM product is included.

So my existing B&R 12.1 license will cover the installed enterprise software?

So my existing B&R 12.1 license will cover the installed enterprise software?

Yes it will.

I’d recommend installing Enterprise Manager on its own Server/VM though rather than installing it on the same machine as VBR.

I’d recommend installing Enterprise Manager on its own Server/VM though rather than installing it on the same machine as VBR.

Oh really, wow, my colleagues normally install it on the same server running the vbr. Could you kindly post the download hyperlink please, I am not seeing it for download

Oh really, wow, my colleagues normally install it on the same server running the vbr. Could you kindly post the download hyperlink please, I am not seeing it for download

The ISO that contains the VBR install has VEM as well.  😉

My bad, i saw it earlier, forgot to update, thanks @Chris.Childerhose.

What are the disadvantages of having it on th same vbr server, wouldn’t i have to apply the license again on a new server with the installed VEM as opposed to installing VEM on the same vbr server so that license can be applied automatically?

Forgive my foolish question.

My bad, i saw it earlier, forgot to update, thanks @Chris.Childerhose.

What are the disadvantages of having it on th same vbr server, wouldn’t i have to apply the license again on a new server with the installed VEM as opposed to installing VEM on the same vbr server so that license can be applied automatically?

Yes you would need to apply your license file to a new VEM server but separating them to manage multiple VBR servers is a best practice.  If you are a small shop then on the same server I can see.

My bad, i saw it earlier, forgot to update, thanks @Chris.Childerhose.

@SysEng You still need to provide the license at installation even on the same VM. Where it’s installed doesn’t change the licensing, Enterprise Manager is included functionality in your license and doesn’t cost extra or consume extra licenses. 
As for why, when VBRs are managed by VEM, it becomes linked for things like indexing and licensing, as well as the config backup encryption passwords can be stored in Enterprise Manager for recovery, so with all of this, having it on the same box doesn’t fully realise these advantages. If Enterprise Manager is on the same server, and that server has an issue and you need to rebuild it, you don’t have config password recovery for the VBR server as Enterprise manager also will be missing. This will also be true for the other VBRs managed by that VEM instance. 
VEM also utilizes IIS to expose a self service portal, having this on the VBR server technically increases the attack surface of VBR, as there are now additional roles installed and expose that might not be as well secured. Installing VEM on a separate machine makes it simpler to secure both VBR and VEM.
There are lots of advantages.

Comment