Skip to main content
Solved

Backup & Replication console won't connect after upgrade to 12.1.0.2131

Hi,  We’ve just upgraded our Veeam Backup and Replication server to v12.1.0.213.  All went very smoothly.  I also upgraded the Backup and Replication Console, which sits on another server, to the same version. We usually use this for access to Veeam.  Again, the upgrade went well with nothing untoward being apparent.  

However, now my Veeam console will not log in to the Veeam Server. I get a message saying “Failed to connect VeeamBackup & Replication server: The logon attempt failed.”

On investigation, I found that this occurred when I was using the server name (as the field was auto-populated with this info from before the upgrade).  However, if I use the IP of the Veeam server, the console connects as expected.  I tested this using the full FQDN of the Veeam server, but still did not connect - it only seems to connect using the IP. 

Has anyone got any suggestions of how I can connect using server name again?

Thanks. 

Nice! Glad to hear you got it sorted, & thanks for providing an update. 

Glad to hear you resolved the issue as well as sharing what the solution was.  It is too bad you had to rejoin the domain again.

Had this problem immediately, and can reproduce on fresh installs. Un joining and rejoing a backup server in a production environment as a solution is problematic to say the least.

Had this problem immediately, and can reproduce on fresh installs. Un joining and rejoing a backup server in a production environment as a solution is problematic to say the least.

I agree.  At the moment I’m living with it as-is and had to reconnect my handful of desktop clients to point by IP instead of FQDN.  I’ll probably end up doing a fresh install and migrate the server off the domain per best practices, but that will take some time to plan out properly.

100% a Veeam upgrade issue, no changes here pre-upgrade and I'm having this issue too.

Every VBRC has this across all of our clients that we manage via VSPC.  

One we notice, is regardless if you upgrade via VSPC or local, it installs a local server backup and causes VSPC to fail loading.

Now, once we spent 24 hours fixing this garbage, none of our servers will connect to vSPC.  No cert issues.  

Yeah, I’m beyond pissed, and the fact I can’t just call someone for support, and nothing is updated in forums about all these issues. 

Yeah,  maybe you can tell I’m pissed off.

100% a Veeam upgrade issue, no changes here pre-upgrade and I'm having this issue too.

Every VBRC has this across all of our clients that we manage via VSPC.  

One we notice, is regardless if you upgrade via VSPC or local, it installs a local server backup and causes VSPC to fail loading.

Now, once we spent 24 hours fixing this garbage, none of our servers will connect to vSPC.  No cert issues.  

Yeah, I’m beyond pissed, and the fact I can’t just call someone for support, and nothing is updated in forums about all these issues. 

Yeah,  maybe you can tell I’m pissed off.

This is not the place to take this attitude or language. If you have a complaint then post it on the forums as there is no one here from the Veeam Product management team!

Glad to hear you issue is  resolved 

I so hoped this will be solved in 12.1.1.56 :-(

I so hoped this will be solved in 12.1.1.56 :-(

Wow really not fixed. 20yr enterprise customer here saying “shame”.

Just upgraded from 12.1 to 12.2 and having the same issue with the remote console. Removing/Readding to the domain did not fix the issue. Opened case # 07408776

Update: Removed my user from the Active Directory Protected Users group and I was able to successfully use the remote console. Did something change/revert during the upgrade because we didnt have this problem before the upgrade?

Just upgraded from 12.1 to 12.2 and having the same issue with the remote console. Removing/Readding to the domain did not fix the issue. Opened case # 07408776

Update: Removed my user from the Active Directory Protected Users group and I was able to successfully use the remote console. Did something change/revert during the upgrade because we didnt have this problem before the upgrade?

same issue here.
but if several of the Veeam service are run as a service account and not local system, remote console actually works with that same account.
adding a new AD user as Veeam administrator, does not help, only the account that runs the services can login from remote.

Hey everyone, I just encountered this issue on a customers system and was able to determine the cause:
Last week someone from our team updated the client’s Veeam to V12.2. Apparently so, the original installation of Veeam took place with the local Administrator Account of the server, the update however was done with a seperate domain administrator account. This seems to have caused a few SPNs I will list down below to be registered with the admin user account instead of the computer account. After deleting them from the user and re-registering them with the server (you can either do this with PowerShell or inside of ADUC under advanced features) I was able to start the Backup Job. It’s still at 0%, but atleast it didn’t fail instantly again. 

The affected SPNs were:
VeeamCdpSvc/HOSTNAME
VeeamCdpSvc/HOSTNAME.DOMAIN
VeeamCloudConnectSvc/HOSTNAME
VeeamCloudConnectSvc/HOSTNAME.DOMAIN
VeeamCatalogSvc/HOSTNAME
VeeamCatalogSvc/HOSTNAME.DOMAIN
VeeamBackupSvc/HOSTNAME
VeeamBackupSvc/HOSTNAME.DOMAIN

Hope this will help someone out there!

EDIT: Backup Job now at 2%, so this definetly fixed it for me.

Thanks for sharing this @JunasButtram hopefully it helps others.

Great troubleshooting share @JunasButtram .

Thanks @JunasButtram it worked for me as well.
same services I previously had to run as serviceaccount, now all runs as local system, and I can login remotely with whoever I assign.

Comment