Linux Kernel Exploit - CVE-2024-1086

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It appears there has been a noticed exploit vulnerability in Linux Kernels v5.14 up to v6.6. The exploit seems to be a “privilege escalation from unprivileged user to root user. And, it should be noted that the exploit can read/write any physical memory on the device, but uses it to become root user. An important note is that the exploit requires nf_tables to be present, and unprivileged user namespaces. This can be checked with commands specified in the README.md file in the repo.

You can read more about this and the context/background of the exploit at the following link:
https://pwning.tech/nftables/

It is highly recommended to update your kernel as it seems this was patched in February. To check which kernel you have, simply type hostnamectl and check the Kernel heading:

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Will keep this in mind when I do some Linux work today and ensure the latest kernel is installed.  Thanks for sharing this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Will keep this in mind when I do some Linux work today and ensure the latest kernel is installed.  Thanks for sharing this. 

You bet Chris. 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you @coolsport00 ,
Yes, somehow this is important and may impact anyone using Linux as the Veeam Backup hardened repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you @coolsport00 ,
Yes, somehow this is important and may impact anyone using Linux as the Veeam Backup hardened repository.

Sure, no problem @vAdmin 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi 

as per the kernel list my ubuntu version is not affected

Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
          Kernel: Linux 6.5.0-26-generic
    Architecture: x86-64
😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for posting this.  I think my stuff is up-to-date but I’ll have to double check.

Comment