Critical VMWARE vuln VMSA-2023-0023

• 25 October 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello,

In case anyone missed the news of the day:

CVE-2023-34048, updates are available. Don’t wait too long if you’re exposed. I didn’t find a public POC yet, i think it won’t be long now.

VMSA-2023-0023 (vmware.com)

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Appreciate the heads up!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Saw this in the Security emails that I get for VMware but good to inform the community.  Thanks for sharing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Got the email from VMware this AM. Most of us don’t allow public IP’s to hit our vCenter’s hopefully 🙂, but I’ll be doing the update when I can. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Firewalls just get in the way. If you put your vCenter and your hosts on a public IP, you’ll be able to access them anywhere!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Firewalls just get in the way. If you put your vCenter and your hosts on a public IP, you’ll be able to access them anywhere!

Better yet, forward 3399 to your home PC and enable RDP while you are away.  It’s a great way for “Remote access” and cheaper than a VPN. Put that cost savings for a .com domain name to simplify needing an IP address even. 

*disclaimer* If you don’t sense the sarcasm, please do not do this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, thank you for the sharing on this high scoring vulnerabilities.

The update must be done via the manual mount of the ISO not the VAMI.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/rn/vsphere-vcenter-server-70u3o-release-notes/index.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello,

In case anyone missed the news of the day:

CVE-2023-34048, updates are available. Don’t wait too long if you’re exposed. I didn’t find a public POC yet, i think it won’t be long now.

VMSA-2023-0023 (vmware.com)

Yes, VMware claims they have not found any evidence of the CVE-2023-34048 being exploited.

Comment