[What (else) is new in v11 - IV] PowerShell

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

One of my favorite new little thinks in v11: Veeam provides a PowerShell module instead of a PowerShell Snapin. Modules are the more modern way compared to Snapins. See here some details about the differences.

Here is the list of available Veeam modules in v11:

New in v11 are Veeam.Backup.PowerShell and Veeam.Teams.PowerShell. The first one replaces the PowerShell Snapin VeeamPSSnapin in v10.

At least in theory, scripts should perform as before. PowerShell should import the new module as soon as one of it's commands is started. Existing scripts will show an error when they try to add the missing Snapin to the session.

In the course of this, attention was also paid to the user experience. So there are now defined default fields shown in different commands. See here the output of get-vbrbackup for example

In v10 all data fields were shown. This was not very useful at first.

The range of functions also increases with v11. We see 213 more commands than in v10. Most of them are for operating features in v11.

Just 2 Cmdlets are gone (New-VBRRPONotificationOptions, Publish-VBRBackupDisksNFS).

Final note: I tried to import this new module in v10. But I failed to do so. 

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you @vNote42 for sharing that, i don’t remember there is a modules for Oracle and SQL. I will check that, it could be useful for the DBA Team :sunglasses: . I saw already some use cases for CI/CD pipeline for exporting data or automate a restore with awx jobs on demand!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

[Update]

When installing the VBR console to a Windows computer, new PowerShell module is copied to disk too! It works to import this module and connect to a v11 VBR server - remotely. What does not work is to connect to a v10 VBR server. That is a pity...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just found out, Powershell Versions >= 6 do not support PowerShell Snapins any more! So if you do not want to use Veeam scripts with PowerShell 5.1 (pre-installed on most Windows Systems), you have to upgrade to v11 to be able to use modules instead!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just found out, Powershell Versions >= 6 do not support PowerShell Snapins any more! So if you do not want to use Veeam scripts with PowerShell 5.1 (pre-installed on most Windows Systems), you have to upgrade to v11 to be able to use modules instead!

Ok… I have written a test procedure if the module is present or the snapin and it uses the module if possible. So I did not notice this...

But I have installed Powershell 5.1 and 7.1 in parallel anyway. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Ok… I have written a test procedure if the module is present or the snapin and it uses the module if possible. So I did not notice this...

But I have installed Powershell 5.1 and 7.1 in parallel anyway. 😎

So you should check too: if just Snapin is available start 5.1; else of 7.x :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, good idea. Improvements, improvements…. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for share

Userlevel 1

Its too bad Veeam is better at bragging about their PS module than they are at testing it. I have found several commands that do not work as they are meant to when working with surebackup jobs.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@RogueGeek Why don't you open a support case or post it to the R&D forums? That way your finding could be checked and fixed for everyone else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Its too bad Veeam is better at bragging about their PS module than they are at testing it. I have found several commands that do not work as they are meant to when working with surebackup jobs.  

For technical issues, a support case is needed before posting to the R&D forums.

Veeam Support is the best way to deal with such issues in the software.

Userlevel 1

@RogueGeekWhy don't you open a support case or post it to the R&D forums? That way your finding could be checked and fixed for everyone else.

I have a case open already and they want me log (big surprise), which I fail to see how that has anything to do with the underlining coding of the PS commands in their module. Just wasting more time with no resolve and this has crippled any case of automation until this is corrected. Go ahead play with the PS command for sure backup and experience it yourself. You can start by bring up the help for New-VBRSureBackupStartupOptions. Just read and see if you can catch the issue. I’ll give you a hint. Its all about switches.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Could you give us more details @RogueGeek ? I don’t want to play around with New-VBRSureBackupStartupOptions any more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you want to have the problems or bugs resolved then I would suggest to continue working with support. If you feel that your case is stuck or not worked on as you expect, you can escalate it at any time. @RogueGeek 

Userlevel 1

I am a big dummy. Problem solved thanks to some older posts I saw from @vNote42. Please disregard my rant. So embarrassed. lol.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very interesting and thanks for sharing.   Need to investigate the PS modules more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am a big dummy. Problem solved thanks to some older posts I saw from @vNote42. Please disregard my rant. So embarrassed. lol.  

Happy we could help! 

PS: but with SureBackup there is still a main-function missing in PS modules: Tag-based backup jobs cannot be used with scripted SureBackup jobs :unamused:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Comment