8. Select from Data Center, SaaS, Public Cloud and Monitoring

7. Immutability is included

6. Capacity Tier calculations

5. Direct to Object storage option

4. The UI is fantastic

3. Average write rate when doing CDP calculation can be factored in

2. This is an official Veeam Calculator

1. The restore simulator is back!

Anyone who works in the backup space knows the importance of a good backup calculator. Not only will it save you time it could also save money. To take it a step further a Veeam sizing calculator can also help you understand how to size the Veeam environment, that’s way I am excited when I got the news from @Chas letting everyone know that the new Veeam hosted calculators are available.

Before I provide an overview of some of the enhancements, I would like to extend a huge thank you to the Veeam team that worked on creating these tools Adam Congdon, David Tosoff and Olivier Rossi as well as Marty Williams provide input around the tape calculator portion it would be a tape discussion without Marty!

There are two options when you go the URL a simple calculator that I discuss below as well as a Scenario Builder and of course an option to go to previous versions. I am focusing this post on the simple calculator.

In the past there were several Veeam calculator, but they were not official. The new calculators are hosted officially by Veeam for the first time, as well as they are Web-based, and they also run as a Windows app. The calculations have been completely re-designed and have been confirmed by Veeam Product Management and QA so they will provide the most accurate results.

The interface is a complete 360° and includes major Veeam use cases as well as databases, unstructured data, cloud and even sales force.

The calculators can be found https://www.veeam.com/calculatorsThe

When working in the calculator you have the options to choose from Machines, Unstructured Data, Databases or Tape.  As well as backup or replication. You will also notice that Veeam CDP is included. Also, you can select from Data Center, SaaS, Public Cloud and Monitoring.

As an example, when you input the data source and define your protection policy you will also have options for capacity Tier and immutability. When you select capacity tier you will get several options and you can set your retention including GFS.

They have also included information bubbles that will guide if you’re not 100% sure what is being asked or what a field is. If you select advance you can forecast the growth of the data as well as change rate and adjust data compression.

Once you have imputed all your data you select estimate, you will get a break down with results as well as something that I loved and missed from the past the Restore Point Simulator!  

The team did a great job bring new features to the calculators as well as brining back features that everyone missed, I hope you are as excited about these new calculators as I am. Please take the time to use and dive into them and see the many ways they will help you in your day-to-day Veeam life. They can be found here  https://www.veeam.com/calculators 

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Looks pretty slick @SSimpson !! Thank you for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am loving the new calculators that they have done and nice seeing this list.  Thanks for sharing @SSimpson 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I like that it’s possible to change one parameter, click estimate and have the new result over the old one, making easier to compare the impact of i.e. retention and change rate…

(a screenshot of this is on my blog post https://blog.tinivelli.com/new-veeam-size-calculator-065dd0c47c58)

Userlevel 5
Badge

It is very helpful in matters such as cost calculation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great summary, @SSimpson ! Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey guys! thanks for the recap, the new interface is very useful and looks great !

One question how do you estimate the % for the Compression ?

I would like to obtain this information for my current customers. I used the tool Veeam Healthcheck,  in one report I have DedupRatio and CompressRatio, but dont know which one to use or if it’s a calculation of both values

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This has been a fantastic tool and looks great. Love the UI as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In general, it’s assumed we achieve an average compression of 2:1 or 50%.

The HealthCheck spits out the same info that you can find in any Report from a Veeam B&R Job (right click job -> report). This value is calculated by:

• SOURCE DATA / BACKUP FILE SIZE (i.e. 100TB / 50TB = compression of 2:1)
  • This ratio can be converted to compression percentage by this formula:
    • For 2:1:
      • Compression = (1 – (1/2)) * 100
    • For 6.7:1:
      • Compression = (1 – (1/ 6.7)) * 100 = 85% compression

If you want to use the raw backup file data & source data size:

• Formula = (1 – (Backup file size / source data size)) * 100
    1. (1 – (40tb backup / 100tb source) )* 100 = 60%

They do plan to make this more plain in the Health Check utility in the next iteration that should be coming soon.

Comment