Veeam Legends - Veeam Backup & Replication Pocketbook v1

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We are proud to announce the release of our first joint Legends project: Veeam Backup & Replication Pocketbook v1.

It is a collection of best practices from the field.

The following topics are covered:

• Backup Basics
  • Security
  • Hardened Repository and Immutability
  • Performance
  • SOBR Capacity Tier Offload
  • SureBackup

We are discussing each recommendation with benefits, disadvantages and links to more information. Currently the Pocketbook can be downloaded here as a pdf-file. 

We are looking forward to your feedback!

Enjoy reading!

Contributors (in alphabetic order): @falkob@Geoff Burke@JMeixner@Link State@MicoolPaul@regnor@vNote42@wolff.mateus 

:point_down::point_down_tone1::point_down_tone2::point_down_tone3::point_down_tone4::point_down_tone5:  :point_down::point_down_tone1::point_down_tone2::point_down_tone3::point_down_tone4::point_down_tone5: :point_down::point_down_tone1::point_down_tone2::point_down_tone3::point_down_tone4::point_down_tone5:

36 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So exiting that version 1 of this pocketbook is now published. :sunglasses:

I hope, several versions will follow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Sorry! I did a mistake! I created this post in the Legends-group. I already asked Kseniya to move it to the public area. ...embarrassing :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry! I did a mistake! I created this post in the Legends-group. I already asked Kseniya to move it to the public area. ...embarrassing :grin:

:smile: I was just writing to tell you this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

glad to read it, thanks to all contributors

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@vNote42 :Excellent, Thanks to all the authors !

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool.  Great work and contributions by everyone involved.

Do you need to be a Legend to contribute? :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice @vNote42!

Let’s going to publish it in our blogs and media social too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hooray we did it! Good job everyone and now it's time to party 🍾

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This is just great @vNote42 and all other authors!!! I just love it. I would be very honoured being also an author in version 2, I love determining and implementing best practices :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is just great @vNote42 and all other authors!!! I just love it. I would be very honoured being also an author in version 2, I love determining and implementing best practices :blush:

We just need to become Legends first then v2.  :smiley:

The anticipation is killing me for the announcement. :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is just great @vNote42 and all other authors!!! I just love it. I would be very honoured being also an author in version 2, I love determining and implementing best practices :blush:

Who said it’ll be called v2? We might call it v1a or v1 CU XXXXXXXX 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

🤣🤣🤣

v98SE 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Wow! Thanks so much!! Now I know what to read this evening!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I see endless discussion about the version number! What about vII ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Calm down! I have the feeling, you will contribute to the next version :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@vNote42 and other authors : I have read the whole pocketbook and this is really great!

Looking forward being also an author of this pocketbook of version 2 :blush: , as my signature already mentions : I like determining and implementing best practices.

I have just one remark…

Following is mentioned : 

Recommendation: You may want to kick off a tiering job immediately after connecting and configuring your capacity tier. You can force a manual capacity tier offload by right clicking on the SOBR and choosing "run tiering job now" option, or by using a PowerShell command "Start-VBRCapacityTierSync -Repository SOBRNAME". 

→ I think that pressing the CTRL-button in combination with right clicking is here forgotten :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Next to that : some idea : perhaps we can also create a pocketbook for Veeam Backup for Office 365 (I know that @Mildur has a lot of knowledge about this product, I also have implemented this product already several times...) and a pocketbook for Veeam ONE.

Let’s say : the 3 biggest products of this awesome vendor!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I could try to write some stuff about vbo365, if we do such a book. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@vNote42 and other authors : I have read the whole pocketbook and this is really great!

Looking forward being also an author of this pocketbook of version 2 :blush: , as my signature already mentions : I like determining and implementing best practices.

I have just one remark…

Following is mentioned : 

Recommendation: You may want to kick off a tiering job immediately after connecting and configuring your capacity tier. You can force a manual capacity tier offload by right clicking on the SOBR and choosing "run tiering job now" option, or by using a PowerShell command "Start-VBRCapacityTierSync -Repository SOBRNAME". 

→ I think that pressing the CTRL-button in combination with right clicking is here forgotten :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Next to that : some idea : perhaps we can also create a pocketbook for Veeam Backup for Office 365 (I know that @Mildur has a lot of knowledge about this product, I also have implemented this product already several times...) and a pocketbook for Veeam ONE.

Good catch on the manual tier job as you need to use Ctrl and right-click. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have just one remark…

Following is mentioned : 

Next to that : some idea : perhaps we can also create a pocketbook for Veeam Backup for Office 365 (I know that @Mildur has a lot of knowledge about this product, I also have implemented this product already several times...) and a pocketbook for Veeam ONE.

Great comments @Nico Losschaert, I have one thing to say, do it! This is the Veeam COMMUNITY, you don’t need a green light from Veeam to make it happen, we discussed whether to include Veeam ONE or VBO etc but wanted a fixed scope to help ensure the project was successful.

All you need to do now is set up and own that project and whoever is interested in helping will no doubt make themselves known 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have just one remark…

Following is mentioned : 

Great comments @Nico Losschaert, I have one thing to say, do it! This is the Veeam COMMUNITY, you don’t need a green light from Veeam to make it happen, we discussed whether to include Veeam ONE or VBO etc but wanted a fixed scope to help ensure the project was successful.

All you need to do now is set up and own that project and whoever is interested in helping will no doubt make themselves known 🙂

Thx for your feedback @MicoolPaul ! Perhaps a topic for one of the coming Legend meetings :wink: , I ‘ll do my best to join the next meeting.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you for the Pocketbook! Really useful infromation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Awesome ! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you for sharing such a great concise knowledge book 😍

Comment