Many people in the community probably are already aware of the fact that in Q4 of 2023 Microsoft will launch in preview their own 365 Backup and Archive service.
For those who doesn’t know yet, they are now informed 😎.
More info can be read and viewed on following links :
My goal is to have a summary of pro’s and con’s of this MS service vs the proven existing Veeam solution!
As a partner we are offering at this moment a Veeam SaaS solution and my idea is to keep it that way of course 😊, but therefore I have to convince the cloud team that this is still the best solution to offer to our customers.
The MS backup solution is a built-in solution to backup M365 (Onedrive, Exchanage and Sharepoint).
The MS archive solution is to put less frequently data on cheaper cold storage but can still be directly used.
Is this Microsoft service a competitive solution towards the existing backup vendor solutions or just an ideal add-on.
MS never has proven to be good in backup solution, why are they offering this now?
I already have begun with a list of things I already know, but there is still a lof of information that I don’t know and can’t find yet, next to that the pro’s and con’s and open questions.
Known information :
- in preview at Q4 2023
- See links above
- Will be a backup solution and next to that an archive solution
Pro’s and con’s :
- it seems to be only available for Onedrive for Business, Sharepoint Online and Exchange Online, not for Teams (pro Veeam)
- of course only available on MS storage (not away from MS) (pro Veeam)
- built-in solution (pro MS)
- archive solution (pro MS)
- quick recovery (pro MS) : MS claims that backup vendors will have the same features using the API and speed (will that be???)
- not proven yet solution (pro Veeam)
- more possibilities at backup vendors (pro Veeam)
Open questions :
- Possibility to organize, centralize more than 1 tenant?
- Pricing? Only per user or also for consumed storage?
- What features and possibilities will there be available?
Info from MS regarding backup vendors :
Microsoft 365 Backup helps you protect Microsoft 365. And you likely have data to protect that goes beyond “just” Microsoft 365. Many of our partners offer data backup and protection solutions that include Microsoft 365 sources along with a diverse range of other data sources, third party applications, and more sophisticated data protection scenarios.
That’s why we’re extending our APIs so partners can integrate our capabilities into their data management and protection apps. With Microsoft 365 Backup and Microsoft 365 Archive APIs, our partners can uniquely provide a single and seamless experience that protects your data estate, whether inside or outside of Microsoft 365, in combination with our speed and storage innovations.
Info of Danny Allan :
"Today Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 protects over 15 million Microsoft 365 users and we’re excited to integrate with Microsoft 365 Backup to help customers protect their critical business information no matter what happens."
- Danny Allan, CTO at Veeam
There is a lot of information not known yet in my opinion, so we will have to wait I think until the preview.
At first I see the archive solution as a nice add-on.
The backup-solution doesn’t have much advantage except being a built-in solution.
Feel free to add additional pro’s and con’s and already known information.