VBR v11 šŸ”„ Requirements and Limitations Veeam CDP

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
  • Veeam Legend, Veeam Vanguard
  • 124 comments

Requirements and Limitations

Ā 

CDP has a set of requirements and limitations.

:bulb: Requirements

The following requirements apply to CDP:

• CDP is included in the Veeam Universal License. When using a legacy socket-based license, the Enterprise Plus edition is required.
  • For supported platforms, seeĀ Platform Support.
  • For supported source and target datastores, seeĀ Veeam CDP Source and Target.
  • All hosts in a cluster must be of the same major version: 7.x or 6.x (6.5, or 6.7, or a combination of 6.5 and 6.7 is supported). In turn, all clusters managed by the same vCenter Server must also be of the same major version.
  • VMs on the same cluster must be protected with CDP only by one backup server.
  • The machine where the backup server resides must have at least 16 GB RAM.
  • VMs that you plan to protect must not have snapshots at the moment when the CDP policy starts for the first time.
  • Network between infrastructure components required for CDP must be 1 Gbps or faster. For high loaded systems, 10 Gbps and MTU 9000 is recommended.
  • For VMware CDP proxy requirements, seeĀ VMware CDP Proxy.

:negative_squared_cross_mark: Limitations

When planning to use CDP, mind the following limitations:

• CDP works only for powered on VMs.
  • VM replicas can be powered on only using the failover operation; manual power on is disabled.
  • On the target host, VeeamĀ BackupĀ &Ā Replication does not allow to migrate VM replicas using VMware vSphere Storage vMotion. Note that host vMotion is supported.
  • Shared disks, physical RDM and SCSI bus sharing are not supported. Note that vRDM disks are supported.
  • Cisco HyperFlex is not supported as a source or target.
  • The maximum supported number of disks for one VM is 50. The maximum number of disks for one host is 500.
  • Data encryption rules do not apply to traffic between the ESXi host and VMware CDP proxy. For more information on the rules, seeĀ Enabling Data Encryption.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for sharing!

When I first went to look at CDP I had an old vSphere 6.0 based cluster I wanted to test it on. I remember when vSphere 6.0 U1 came out that the vSphere API for IO filtering (VAIO) was released. So I was then surprised that Veeam blocked me installing on vSphere 6.0. But it does make sense, as I asked myself the following questions.

1. Why would Veeam add support for a new feature to something EOL? If they found bugs, they wonā€™t get a fix from VMware anyway.
  2. It would just add to more complexity requiring a ā€œUā€ release to support a feature, potentially.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Awesome workĀ @eprieto , i will share it with the virtualization team in my company :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks @eprietoĀ for sharing!

Note that also ESXi must have at least 16GB memory. Just stumbled upon this in my lab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for sharing!

When I first went to look at CDP I had an old vSphere 6.0 based cluster I wanted to test it on. I remember when vSphere 6.0 U1 came out that the vSphere API for IO filtering (VAIO) was released. So I was then surprised that Veeam blocked me installing on vSphere 6.0. But it does make sense, as I asked myself the following questions.

1. Why would Veeam add support for a new feature to something EOL? If they found bugs, they wonā€™t get a fix from VMware anyway.
  2. It would just add to more complexity requiring a ā€œUā€ release to support a feature, potentially.

Agree with youā€¦Ā Veeam make an excellent work with the compatibility version of vSphere...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

ThanksĀ @eprietoĀ for sharing!

Note that also ESXi must have at least 16GB memory. Just stumbled upon this in my lab.

hehehehe enjoy !!!

Comment