Skip to main content

Understanding vSphere 8 Update 3 Live Patching

VMware's vSphere 8 Update 3 introduces the powerful vSphere Live Patch feature, a significant advancement in maintaining system security and stability without the need for extensive downtime or service interruptions.

What is vSphere Live Patch?

Overview

vSphere Live Patch allows administrators to apply critical patches directly to the hypervisor layer without requiring a reboot or evacuation of hosts. This feature ensures continuous availability of virtual machines (VMs) while keeping the system secure and up-to-date.

Key Benefits

• Minimized Downtime: The Live Patch feature utilizes a fast-suspend-resume (FSR) process, ensuring minimal disruption to running VMs. This approach is particularly beneficial for environments requiring high availability and minimal service interruptions.
  • Operational Efficiency: By eliminating the need for host reboots during patching, administrators can apply security fixes and updates more frequently and efficiently. This leads to improved system reliability and reduced maintenance windows.
  • Increased Security: Timely application of patches helps in mitigating security vulnerabilities more effectively, maintaining the overall security posture of the virtual infrastructure.

Implementation Details

• Supported VMs: The majority of VMs will undergo the FSR process during live patching, ensuring they remain operational with minimal impact. However, VMs utilizing features like vSphere Fault Tolerance or Direct Path I/O require manual remediation, as they do not support the FSR process.
  • Partial Maintenance Mode: This new mode allows existing VMs to continue running while preventing the creation or migration of new VMs during the live patching process. This ensures a stable environment during critical updates.

How to Utilize vSphere Live Patch

Step-by-Step Guide

1. Preparation: Before initiating the live patching process, ensure that all VMs are compatible with the FSR process. Identify any VMs that may require manual remediation.
  2. Initiate Live Patch: Use the vSphere Client to apply the live patch to the hypervisor. Monitor the process to ensure that all VMs undergo the FSR process smoothly.
  3. Verify Patch Application: After the patching process is complete, verify that the updates have been applied successfully and that all VMs are operational.
  4. Manual Remediation: For VMs that require manual remediation, plan for a maintenance window to apply the necessary updates without disrupting operations.

Best Practices

• Regular Patching Schedule: Establish a regular patching schedule to ensure that your virtual environment remains secure and up-to-date.
  • Monitoring and Alerts: Utilize monitoring tools to keep track of the patching process and receive alerts for any issues that may arise.
  • Documentation and Training: Maintain detailed documentation of the live patching process and provide training for administrators to handle any challenges effectively.

Conclusion

vSphere Live Patch in vSphere 8 Update 3 represents a significant leap forward in maintaining virtual infrastructure with minimal downtime. By leveraging this feature, organizations can enhance their operational efficiency, security, and overall system reliability.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I did not read about all of this but that would explain why my hosts were so fast to patch with this update.  LOL 😂

Nice to see this feature in U3 and hopefully when we hit our update cycle it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I read about this yesterday too. Interesting patching concept from VMW. I need to read more details than what was shared in the Blog though.

Userlevel 1

Is 8.0.3 supported by VBR already? Or are we looking at the typical 90 days from GA? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Is 8.0.3 supported by VBR already? Or are we looking at the typical 90 days from GA? 

It is technically supported as I am using it at home in my lab but you do get API warnings due to the changes.  Better to wait on Veeam to properly support it possibly in 12.2.

Userlevel 1

It is technically supported as I am using it at home in my lab but you do get API warnings due to the changes.  Better to wait on Veeam to properly support it possibly in 12.2.

Kind of what I figured. Figured it would technically work, but would give the API warning, meaning it’s not technically supported yet. I would also guess 12.2 will have full support. Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey Guys.. just to clarify… 8.0.3 is NOT officially supported by Veeam at this time.  Be on the look our for our official announcement.  We strive to support new builds of VMware within 90 days of GA.

Userlevel 5
Badge

90 days

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hey Guys.. just to clarify… 8.0.3 is NOT officially supported by Veeam at this time.  Be on the look our for our official announcement.  We strive to support new builds of VMware within 90 days of GA.

Yes we get it and know.  😉

Comment