Ransomware Detection - Entropy with Machine Learning and AI

• 8 October 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi! In this post, I describe some aspects of the analysis of entropy analysis associated with Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence techniques aimed at detecting Ransomware.

This is an exciting topic. As announced in VeeamON 2023, Veeam is working to improve the VDP´s ransomware detection capabilities with AI/ML to perform an in-line entropy analysis of the data stream on backup proxies to detect previously unencrypted data becoming encrypted.

It can undoubtedly be another powerful tool in the battle against ransomware.

Ransomware Detection: Entropy with Machine Learning and AI – Cloud and Roll (cloudnroll.com)

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is definitely going to be a great addition to Veeam for sure. Great blog post. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks, Chris! This approach makes much sense for backup systems because files must be processed in each backup job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, Chris! This approach makes much sense for backup systems because files must be processed in each backup job.

Absolutely agree and having the inline scanner is going to help.  Already testing the Beta myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great to know, Chris! If you can share some impressions and screens with us asap, it should be greeeeat! :-)

Best Of Lumbergh - YouTube

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to know, Chris! If you can share some impressions and screens with us asap, it should be greeeeat! :-)

Best Of Lumbergh - YouTube

Off today for Thanksgiving in Canada but will get some tomorrow if I am not too busy with work. 😜

Comment