[Quicktip] "Error in the application" during VM backup

• 12 October 2021
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yesterday I saw the error a second time, so I thought it would be helpful to others to share.

Error happens when VBR tries to read vSphere information for the VM to back up. Error says "Error in the application" like you see in the screenshot.

After some troubleshooting we found the reason for this. It was because TCP-port 902 was not allowed (in all firewalls) from the Veeam proxy server to the ESXi host that was hosting the VM to back up. After the port was enabled in the firewall(s), backup ran without further issues.

Notes:

I hope this post safe others some time when this error appears.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I’ve had this problem not long ago, but in that case the NFC service was just not running and also couldn’t start. A reboot solved this one. It’s interesting to note that regardless of the transport mode, Veeam will always fetch the VM config (etc) via NFC from the host running the VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for your input, @regnor!

VMware used port 902 also for general “Core management communications between vCenter Server and ESXi”. So not just (but also) NFC.

https://ports.esp.vmware.com/home/vSphere+vSphere-7

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yesterday I saw the error a second time, so I thought it would be helpful to others to share.

Error happens when VBR tries to read vSphere information for the VM to back up. Error says "Error in the application" like you see in the screenshot.

After some troubleshooting we found the reason for this. It was because TCP-port 902 was not allowed (in all firewalls) from the Veeam proxy server to the ESXi host that was hosting the VM to back up. After the port was enabled in the firewall(s), backup ran without further issues.

Notes:

Great post to help others. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Notes:

Great post to help others. 👍

Thanks Chris!

I have faced same issue, it resolved with your solution. Thanks a lot

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good stuff, thanks for sharing @vNote42  - and random trivia… the used ports, system requirements, etc. part of Helpcenter is one of the most trafficed part of Veeam.com!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Good stuff, thanks for sharing @vNote42  - and random trivia… the used ports, system requirements, etc. part of Helpcenter is one of the most trafficed part of Veeam.com!

Thanks Rick! I can imagine that well, I also need the links constantly

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have faced same issue, it resolved with your solution. Thanks a lot

Thank you!

Comment