[Quicktip] Agent Backup Error

• 24 February 2022
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just had to troubleshoot a not-working Agent backup job. Up to now, everything worked fine. Since last night, job fails. Error shown:

[Task failed. Error: Failed to connect to servername:11731]

Even in logs this error is shown:

The problem seems to be communication with port 11731. This port is used for agent-deployment. No changes were made to the firewalls in this particular environment. So this could not be the cause of the problem.

After a short phone call it turned out that the account used to communicate with the agent had been added to the Protected Users Security Group. But this group is not intended for adding service accounts. After removing the user, backup worked fine again.

I hope this post saves some time in troubleshooting :relaxed:

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, these little evil side effects… :sunglasses:

Thank you Wolfgang. I think something like this will appear in one or more of my environments in the future, too….

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes, these little evil side effects… :sunglasses:

Thank you Wolfgang. I think something like this will appear in one or more of my environments in the future, too….

:joy: so you are well prepared now! :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very interesting seeing what this group does and how to avoid this situation.  Great share and explanation.

For what it's worth, check the routes/weights on the Backup Server. I had a customer who had iSCSI VLAN configured with a gateway specified on the NIC for his configuration.  The packets tried to connect to the destination server over the iSCSI VLAN and not the normal “gateway” where it was supposed to traverse because of weighting not specified properly.

Comment