Grafana Dashboard for Veeam Backup & Replication

Show first post

58 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m running Influx, Telegraf, and Grafana on a windows box. It was MUCH easier to get it setup in Linux, especially because I wanted it to have automatic windows updates/reboot, and have it start itself and display on a dashboard without any intervention. I got it going but if you follow a Linux Grafana tutorial it just seems to be so much easier. 

That being said, I need to try this dashboard out. It looks great.  What permissions are needed to gather the data? Can I create a read only account for this? 

Appears I’m a bit stuck and haven’t been able to resolve the issue. Upon running the script I get the following errors

Writing veeam_vbr_info to InfluxDB
./veeam_backup_and_replication.sh: line 63: influx: command not found
Writing veeam_vbr_sessions to InfluxDB
./veeam_backup_and_replication.sh: line 112: influx: command not found

Both lines reference “influx write \” . Any ideas what I might be missing here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I personally haven’t been able to get to the install yet, but hopefully within the next couple wks. Hopefully Jorge can give an assist here...

Hello everyone, does the sh code also work with Veeam B&R v12? Build 12.0.0.1420

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I don’t see why not tbh; maybe Jorge can chime in with the definitive answer….

Hi Jorge, don’t know if you got this, I looked it up and maybe it is my version of influxdb. I will continue to search but wanted to run the error by you:

Error: failed to write data: 400 Bad Request: unable to parse 'veeam_vbr_info,veeamVBRId=,veeamVBRName=,veeamVBRVersion=,veeamVBR=mvm-ldc-vbr-01:9419 vbr=1': missing tag value

My guess is perhaps that my version of influxdb has some syntax changes? 

Have you faced this error ? :

Error: failed to write data: 400 Bad Request: invalid field format

Because i think it’s related to versions !

i think the RestApi isn't available in ‘Community version’ == REST API is not available in your product edition.

i think the RestApi isn't available in ‘Community version’ == REST API is not available in your product edition.

I have Veeam B&R 12 Enterprise Plus it’s not a community version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @jorge.delacruz !

Is it possible to monitor multiple VBR with this system or is limited to the one specified in the configuration?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is it possible to monitor multiple VBR with this system or is limited to the one specified in the configuration?

I would think if you have multiple VBR servers connected to VEM then you can monitor more than one system.  I am just trying to get it to work with one at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jorge.delacruz can you supply multiple VBR servers in the script file?  Still working on the VEM one with no results so far.  Maybe this would work as an alternative.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jorge.delacruz can you supply multiple VBR servers in the script file?  Still working on the VEM one with no results so far.  Maybe this would work as an alternative.

Hello, well yes, you can create different .sh and schedule them. I am not sure if managing multiple VBRs within one script is a good idea. Maybe if I tune it to specify VBRs and credentials on different files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello, it is one VBR per file for now. But very easy to create more, just have different .sh Not much different that what Veeam ONE does today, polling every VBR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello everyone, does the sh code also work with Veeam B&R v12? Build 12.0.0.1420

Yes of course, the code works with v11, v11a, v12, and v12 patches

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m running Influx, Telegraf, and Grafana on a windows box. It was MUCH easier to get it setup in Linux, especially because I wanted it to have automatic windows updates/reboot, and have it start itself and display on a dashboard without any intervention. I got it going but if you follow a Linux Grafana tutorial it just seems to be so much easier. 

That being said, I need to try this dashboard out. It looks great.  What permissions are needed to gather the data? Can I create a read only account for this? 

Hello, there is not such thing as readonly API accounts today I am afraid, so you will need an administrator account. That being said, I am expecting your VBR is already hardened enough to have MFA for RDP, all ports secured, etc. You can enable the API port incoming only from the Linux box, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Appears I’m a bit stuck and haven’t been able to resolve the issue. Upon running the script I get the following errors

./veeam_backup_and_replication.sh: line 63: influx: command not found
Writing veeam_vbr_sessions to InfluxDB
./veeam_backup_and_replication.sh: line 112: influx: command not found

Both lines reference “influx write \” . Any ideas what I might be missing here?

You need the InfluxDB Client, if running the script from an InfluxDB server, that is installed, if not, it is required: https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/cloud/tools/influx-cli/?t=Linux

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello, well yes, you can create different .sh and schedule them. I am not sure if managing multiple VBRs within one script is a good idea. Maybe if I tune it to specify VBRs and credentials on different files.

Sounds good.  I will test this out and see.

@jorge.delacruz

Many thanks for sharing this much appreciate.

While discussing this with my team, one query was raised for Linux-InfulxDB Server Protection. I hope the daily VM backup in Veeam should be enough.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Jonyrock,  I might also run a pre-backup script in the Veeam job as well using the builtin utility

https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1/administration/backup_and_restore/

cheers

Hi.

Great job!!!! Thank you very much!

I have some problems with jobs on vSphere only. When the script is working Hyper-V jobs are well processed - but when it comes from vSphere i get this error:

Writing veeam_vbr_backupobjects to InfluxDB
Error: failed to write data: 400 Bad Request: unable to parse 'veeam_vbr_backupobjects,veeamVBR=10.x.x.x,veeamVBRBobjectName=WACOM-SRV,veeamVBRBobjecttype=VM,veeamVBRBobjectPlatform=VMware,veeamVBRBobjectviType=VirtualMachine,veeamVBRBobjectObjectId=vm-12082,veeamVBRBobjectPath=VCENTER2-VM\DC HUAWEI\KLASTER5\WACOM-SRV restorePointsCount=5': invalid field format

Effect is I can’t see any of Veeam jobs on the dashboard ;((

Could you help me please?

Debian 12, InfluxDB 2.7.4-1

Userlevel 1

Hi @jorge.delacruz any ideas with the following error: 

Error: failed to write data: 400 Bad Request: unable to parse 'veeam_vbr_info,veeamVBRId=,veeamVBRName=,veeamVBRVersion=,veeamVBR=192.168.0.54,veeamDatabaseVendor= vbr=1': missing tag value

Veeam Version: 12.1.1.56, License: Enterprise Plus, NFR License.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @jorge.delacruz any ideas with the following error: 

Error: failed to write data: 400 Bad Request: unable to parse 'veeam_vbr_info,veeamVBRId=,veeamVBRName=,veeamVBRVersion=,veeamVBR=192.168.0.54,veeamDatabaseVendor= vbr=1': missing tag value

Veeam Version: 12.1.1.56, License: Enterprise Plus, NFR License.

Hello, not getting any data, most likely is user/pass problem, please verify you can connect with the same user/pass in your swagger.

Userlevel 1

@jorge.delacruz yes I can connect with the same user/password in swagger

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello, please remove the file and download the new file from github, change your user/pass, and run it, hopefully we will have more clarity on the issue.

Thanks!

Comment