Demystifying Veeam’s Backup Copy Feature – Part I, Intro, Requirements, Limitations

Show first post

33 comments

Userlevel 1

If you read the link it indicates how it creates the file. You should do per VM on both repos as it makes things easier.

Thanks, so I need to change per VM on source job repo side, need to upgrade backup chain as well ?

Yeah you should upgrade the chain too.

My bcj is running now with per-vm and the source job is not per-vm , I don't have much space to go for per-vm on source. Bcj is getting restore points but having per-vm backup files. I just want to know if going with this approach cause any issues if incase this bcj is used for restores.

Userlevel 1

If you read the link it indicates how it creates the file. You should do per VM on both repos as it makes things easier.

Thanks, so I need to change per VM on source job repo side, need to upgrade backup chain as well ?

My bcj is running now with per-vm and the source job is not per-vm , I don't have much space to go for per-vm on source. Bcj is getting restore points but having per-vm backup files. I just want to know if going with this approach cause any issues if incase this bcj is used for restores.

There will not be issues with the BCJ for restores as it has the data from the source job.  I would test a restore if you are in doubt once the copy finishes to ensure.

Thanks Chris 

Userlevel 1

Want to copy all restore points to a backup-hardened repository, but only one restore point is being copied. the primary backup has 10 restore points but the hardened backup copy repo only has one. We choose "All" when running the Sync option.Running in immediate mode.

My setting for the source job is not using use-per machine but the target repo is using per-machine 

Any thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Want to copy all restore points to a backup-hardened repository, but only one restore point is being copied. the primary backup has 10 restore points but the hardened backup copy repo only has one. We choose "All" when running the Sync option.Running in immediate mode.

My setting for the source job is not using use-per machine but the target repo is using per-machine 

Any thoughts?

Check this link for an explanation as to why only one file is there as the copy job is creating it during the process - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_copying_process.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There will not be issues with the BCJ for restores as it has the data from the source job.  I would test a restore if you are in doubt once the copy finishes to ensure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hope it helps you @miriam1989 

Comment