Decoding the new Broadcom VMware vSphere Licensing Packages (for Small Deployments)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Way back in December (really, it was only 4 weeks ago ?!?), I posted on my personal blog about the Broadcom acquisition of VMware, and how they were ending all of the current perpetual licensing and moving everything to subscription licensing. However, there were many, many questions, and FUD about the changes and what this would mean for licensing VMware products going forward. After many conversations with VMware, reviews of presentations VMware provided to partners and distributors and reading of FAQ's, I finally have an understanding of just what direction exactly VMware is going with their licensing and how it applies to the end user clients. Please note that this is more oriented towards the newly announced vSphere Foundation subscription and it's smaller siblings, vSphere Standard and vSphere Essentials Plus Kit subscriptions which are more oriented to the SMB space. And to be up-front, I'm not really going to talk about vSphere Foundation as that's really the replacement to Enterprise Plus, and not the space that I work in.

vSphere Subscription Packages and Pricing

First of all, what do you get with each Edition? And what features are included in each edition? I'll answer the last question first. As far as I know, the features within vSphere Standard and vSphere Essentials Plus are not changing. For example, Essentials Plus still includes vMotion, and Standard still includes Storage vMotion, etc. Second, what is this thing priced at?

Package Per Core MSRP Licenses Included/Notes
vSphere Cloud Foundation $350 vSphere Enterprise Plus, vSAN Enterprise, Aria Suite Enterprise, NSX Networking for VCF, HCX Enterprise, Aria Operations for Networks Enterprise, SDDC Manager
vSAN Enterprise 1 TiB free per-core licensed to be included in vSphere Cloud Foundation software release
vSphere Foundation $135 vSphere Enterprise Plus, vCenter Server Standard, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, Aria Suite Standard, available Add-On's
vSAN Enterprise 100GiB free per-core licensed to be included in vSphere Foundation software release
vSphere Standard $50 vSphere Standard, vCenter Server Standard
vSphere Essentials Plus Kit $35 vSphere Essentials Plus, vCenter Server Essentials
*sold per 96-core kit, maximum of 3 hosts

vSphere Subscription Licenses included per License Package

And now for some context. The pricing listed above is 3-year ACV. I missed the ACV, and actually had to look that up after it was explained to me by our distributors. This pricing is the "Annual Contract Value". Meaning, if the contract is for 3 years for $35/core, the annual pricing is $35, but the overall contract amount will be $105/core. Note that there are 1, 3 and 5 year terms available and your price per core can vary between them.

Also note that there is now a 16-core minimum license per-processor as well, meaning that even if your single-socket server has 12 cores, you're going to need to pay for 16 cores. Of course, if your processor has more than 16 cores, or if you have dual (or even quad sockets, you're going to have to pay more. This falls in line with how Microsoft licenses Windows Server with a 16-core minimum, so those familiar with Windows licensing should be pretty comfortable with this.

EDIT:  I mistakenly posted there is a 16-core minimum per server, but @jon_may noted that it’s actually listed as 16-cores per processor, so if you have a two 8-core proc’s in your server, you actually need to buy 32 cores.  I’ll reach back out for further clarification on this.

See that asterisk and note on the Essentials Plus Kit licensing? While vSphere Foundation and vSphere Standard are sold per-core, Essentials Plus Kit's are sold only as a 96-core kit. This means that if you have a small environment like many of my clients do using 2 (or 3) hosts with a single 16-core processor, you're still going to need to pay for the 96-core kit when using Essentials Plus. This actually makes Essentials Plus more expensive than vSphere Standard where you license what you need. So, to make that a bit easier to understand, below are a few scenarios I came up with that I find to be more common in the SMB space.

vSphere Subscription Licensing Scenarios

Host/Core Count vSphere Package Total Cores MSRP vSphere Package
(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Essentials Plus 32 $10,080 3-Year Term, Licensed as a 96-Core Kit
(3) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Essentials Plus 48 $10,080 3-Year Term, Licensed as a 96-Core Kit
(3) Hosts, 32 Total Cores per Host vSphere Essentials Plus 96 $10,080 3-Year Term, Licensed as a 96-Core Kit
(1) Host, 16 Total Cores (or less) vSphere Standard 16 $2,400 3-Year Term, Standalone Host
(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Standard 32 $4,800 3-Year Term
(2) Hosts, 24 Total Cores per Host vSphere Standard 48 $7,200 3-Year Term
(3) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Standard 48 $7,200 3-Year Term
(3) Hosts, 24 Total Cores per Host vSphere Standard 72 $10,800 3-Year Term
(3) Hosts, 32 Total Cores per Host vSphere Standard 96 $14,400 3-Year Term
(4) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Standard 64 $9,600 3-Year Term
(5) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Standard 80 $12,000 3-Year Term
(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Foundation 32 $12,960 3-Year Term
(3) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Foundation 48 $19,440 3-Year Term
(3) Hosts, 32 Total Cores per Host (or less) vSphere Foundation 96 $38,880 3-Year Term

vSphere Subscription Licensing Scenarios for Small Deployments

As a brief summary of the above table, if you are a small or medium sized business and have a small server footprint running your virtual environment, you'll find that vSphere standard may fit the bill better than Essentials Plus. If you running single-socket hosts, or are running a less than a total of 24 cores per host, it's going to be to your advantage to license the more feature-rich and pay less than the cost of the Essentials Plus Kit. However, if you're running with a higher core count or multiple processors, and are utilizing up to 3 hosts, Essentials Plus Kit's do have a space in which they'll cost less than the Standard licenses, assuming that you don't need the additional features included in the vSphere ESXI Standard licenses. If you're in the larger Enterprise Plus space, vSphere Foundation includes some great features including some vSAN licensing included, and this pricing may be lower than you're currently paying for Enterprise Plus, but you already know it's going to still be more than pretty much any of the variations of the Essentials Plus and Standard licensing.

vSphere Perpetual to Subscription Migrations

I should note that pretty much all of this pricing applies to more of the greenfield territory where you're purchasing licensing for the first time. If you already have vSphere licensing in place, and you're using Essentials or Essentials Plus licensing, your VMware costs are almost certainly going to rise over what you may have been paying already for SnS (Software & Support) renewals although it should also be noted that VMware has listed that there will be "Attractive pricing for customers migrating from perpetual licenses". I don't have any details on what the cost will be to migrate from existing perpetual licenses, but hopefully that will help alleviate the sting, at least a little bit, for those using Essentials and Essentials Plus kits currently.

So What Does this Mean to Me?

This should come to no surprise, but usually moves like this are to increase revenue. Mean, expect pricing to go up. While Broadcom is touting lower prices for their Enterprise (VMware Cloud Foundation and VMware vSphere Foundation), pricing is certainly going up for smaller business with light-weight deployments. If you're greenfield, this isn't as noticable, but if you're already a VMware customer, and you're utilizing the vSphere Essentials or Essentials Plus licensing, expect to pay a lot more at renewal time. With that said, there's been a lot of discussion in the community around VMware alternatives. Many of the alternatives discussed are enterprise-ready products such as Microsoft Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV (which is built on-top of RedHat KVM). However, there's also discussion around other, generally open-source products that haven't quite hit their enterprise stride yet, but have great potential, including Proxmox, also based on KVM, and XCP-NG which has it's roots born in Citrix XenServer when Citrix discontinued in-house development and open-sourced the project. While I'm not sure that either option has hit the main-stream for enterprises, small deployments such as homelab's and some small businesses are beginning to utilize these hypervisors, and are continuing to to develop their features and functionality. While I don't think they surpass how "well-baked" vSphere is, should Broadcom not continue the development into these products, I feel that these less common alternatives will gain more of the market share.

As posted on my personal blog

44 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That is a smart cash grab on their part. Due to current socket pricing and cores, Most people went with 32 core CPU’s.  2 CPU’s 2 licenses, away we go.   Keeping that in multiples makes sense. 

Now, this is where it gets sneaky.

SQL Enterprise licenses. Not even remotely cheap. Also based on core count.  I have multiple clusters of SQL Enterprise and to keep costs down, we had dual CPU’s but significantly lower core counts, with higher speeds.   We were using Dual 6 core CPU’s before that were blazing fast, They no longer make them. One cluster of 4 hosts, dual 6 core CPUs = 48 cores.  During an upgrade of that cluster I had to switch to 3 hosts, 8 cores per cpu and that was still 48 cores. No change 8*2=16*3=48

Targeting people with SQL Enterprise seems on par with what has been going on. Obviously we are a big enough shop, to A, have the money to pay for extra VMware licenses, and B, will have a bit harder of a time migrating away quickly. SQL Enterprise usually means we are using things like Always On and have some pretty critical systems we are not going to trust on another hypervisor without a lot of testing. 

Also, some little customer with 2 small hosts is most likely not worth their time right now in this transition. Sure, it’s income, but when you add in support and all the other added costs, they are looking specifically for profit. Large profit. If you get rid of 50% of your small customers, and keep the 50% that you make the most of, you can downsize staff and have higher profit margins overall.

This one will 100% effect me, but I don’t know how much yet. 

I will say this. While everyone is trying to wrap their heads around this, I’m not going to worry about it for a while. Too many rumors, overreactions and unknowns still. Whatever route they chose, was 100% thought out and planned. It may not be ideal for ME, but I can’t change it, and they know what direction they want to take. 

The product is still good for now and works great. If work don’t want to pay, we’ll switch, if they do want to keep paying, even better. I’ll do my job and cut costs where it makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not a problem.  We just had a call about this yesterday to work on our hardware changes and direction, so it was fresh.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dloseke, As mentioned by others, I’m watching and waiting to see what shapes up for Service Providers as well, given they were always licensed very differently to end-user agreements. 

Ruh roh…

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/10/broadcom_ends_vmware_partner_program/

Keep in mind, this article simply references the fact that Broadcom has ended the VMware partner program. That information came out almost immediately after the acquisition finalized. I’m not really sure why the register wrote this article so *long* after the information came out, but it added nothing of value to the discussion other than quoting people that don’t know what’s going to happen next.

This information you screen capped here is far more interesting and valuable than that article. 

Great summary Derek.  I am waiting to see how our Partner status moves with them now but we have been assured we are good.  Hopefully it does not change much for us.

That’s a whole different animal.  I was concerned about not even maintaining a partnership with VMware due to the new Partner Program being invite-only.  However, after some deeper reading, Broadcom has published that they intend on bringing along all active partners.  That is, all Partner’s that have had an active contract in the past year.  However, I believe partnership levels will be affected based on their information published.  But most folks don’t quote know where they will fall.  More of that information should be coming out by the end of the month with emails going out to the primary and secondary contacts for each partner.  There is/what a lot of FUD around the initial annoucements, but I think it won’t be as bad as folks assumed early-on.

FAQ excerpt regarding VMware Partner Connect Providers and being invited into the Broadcom Advantage Partner Program, as published in the VMware Partner Programs End of Life & Transition FAQ updated 22-DEC-2023v1.1

Seems a lot more information has come out about how the non service provider crowd will deal with licensing. I’m still waiting to see how service providers will be affected.

The Register article is referencing CSP’s being dropped, whereas the almost immediate press release just listed Partner, and not specifically CSP’s as far as I know.  With that said, there’s be a huge lack of information all around from Broadcom, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they sat on some of this info as well before publishing as there certainly has been changes where they reversed course briefly, etc.  I will note that since I’m not a CSP, I don’t get to see the CSP-specific information in the Partner Connect portal.

Now I’m seeing reports of partners not being invited into the new Partner Program unless they are bringing in $500,000+ in annual revenue.  I personally haven’t gotten an invite into the program yet, and we for sure do nowhere near 500k as a small MSP.  The frustrating part is that if we end up terminated as a partner, how do we procure licensing for our clients?  To my knowledge, that information hasn’t been released and I know others are asking the same question.  

I also find it interesting the shear amount of opinions and information that is being released/leaked.  Broadcom said they would handle this acquisition better than they did CA and Symantec, but I agree that it sure doesn’t seem like they’re doing that.  If feels like they’re very much targeting enterprise customers and are pretty much leaving SMB’s out in the cold. 

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/18/broadcom_vmware_channel_disruption/

Uau!!! It is a big bomb in the MSP market!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That is a smart cash grab on their part. Due to current socket pricing and cores, Most people went with 32 core CPU’s.  2 CPU’s 2 licenses, away we go.   Keeping that in multiples makes sense. 

I think you’re computing on a scale much larger than the environments I’m managing.  Most of my clients are running 16-cores or less on a single socket.  However, some of the older machines out there are running dual 8-core or dual 12-core sockets.  Internally, I have a two hosts running dual 12-core sockets but those are poised to be replaced this year.  At my primary site, I fortunately am running single socket’s, but I had to confirm this yesterday to be sure.

Oh and yeah, I think that a “cash grab” is the correct term to use here.  Others have said it, and I think I would agree, that it seems that Broadcom is going to try and cash in on a year or two of renewals from SMB’s while they get their feet under them and look at alternatives while VMware focuses on their Enterprise and cloud-based offerings.

Now, this is where it gets sneaky.

SQL Enterprise licenses. Not even remotely cheap. Also based on core count.  I have multiple clusters of SQL Enterprise and to keep costs down, we had dual CPU’s but significantly lower core counts, with higher speeds.   We were using Dual 6 core CPU’s before that were blazing fast, They no longer make them. One cluster of 4 hosts, dual 6 core CPUs = 48 cores.  During an upgrade of that cluster I had to switch to 3 hosts, 8 cores per cpu and that was still 48 cores. No change 8*2=16*3=48

I just purchased licensing for SQL Standard, and we ended up licensing per-core as well because the SQL cluster will no longer be running just my Service Provider Console and ONE deployments, but also will be used for some data warehousing and integrations between our billing system and PSA, etc.  Because it’s hard to get a solid user count for the Server+CAL model, it made more sense to license per core.  However, my developer sprung on me using SQL Server Analysis Services yesterday which I think is more CPU intensive, so hopefully I won’t need to add additional cores and therefore core licenses.  I will say that I’m not jealous of your SQL clusters.  I had to deal with SQL and file server failover clustering at my old job, and aside from one client, I don’t have any of that in my current role.

Targeting people with SQL Enterprise seems on par with what has been going on. Obviously we are a big enough shop, to A, have the money to pay for extra VMware licenses, and B, will have a bit harder of a time migrating away quickly. SQL Enterprise usually means we are using things like Always On and have some pretty critical systems we are not going to trust on another hypervisor without a lot of testing. 

Also, some little customer with 2 small hosts is most likely not worth their time right now in this transition. Sure, it’s income, but when you add in support and all the other added costs, they are looking specifically for profit. Large profit. If you get rid of 50% of your small customers, and keep the 50% that you make the most of, you can downsize staff and have higher profit margins overall.

This one will 100% effect me, but I don’t know how much yet. 

I will say this. While everyone is trying to wrap their heads around this, I’m not going to worry about it for a while. Too many rumors, overreactions and unknowns still. Whatever route they chose, was 100% thought out and planned. It may not be ideal for ME, but I can’t change it, and they know what direction they want to take. 

The product is still good for now and works great. If work don’t want to pay, we’ll switch, if they do want to keep paying, even better. I’ll do my job and cut costs where it makes sense.

Yeah, I’m just trying to stay on top of it because I have to make these considerations for 50+ clients, and not just us.  Internal IT can be such an easier beast than MSP.  Still, there’s a lot of waiting for the dust to settle, but also a lot of strategic planning for the “what-if’s”.  The single issue for me is that if we end up moving away from VMware, the only real options at the moment are Hyper-V and Nutanix AHV.  Both are okay, but I don’t feel that either are as good as vSphere.  Proxmox and XCP-NG would be viable maybe after some further testing, but until Veeam as any sort of integrations with those products, I’m really not seeing them as viable alternatives.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I remember seeing this table and it being the motivator to go with 32 Core CPU’s as why not cram in all the performance in to a single Host as possible to save cost. It still makes sense to have host density to save costs in infrastructure. 

The only thing that changed is the minimum. Here’s the thing though. Previously if you bought a 6 core CPU or a 32 Core CPU, you used 1 license.

This holds true if you have an 8 or 16 core CPU now

The difference is, once you get over 16, you will be paying significantly more. 

If you run 8 core CPU’s, and I have 32, my bill is going to be higher.  Sure you will pay the same as the guy with 16, but both of you will pay less than me.  I guess they have to draw the line somewhere, and you can’t even buy 4 or 6 core XEON’s anymore.

Here was the old model.

I do understand the limit of 32 per socket. People were angry with this when they implemented it as well, but eventually we’ll see 128 then 256 cores per socket and density only increases. It’s the same reason Veeam is using VUL’s. The only options are license per core, or continually jack up the price to meet density. With the Per core, VUL, or other type of license like this, I buy it and pay for what I use. With per socket, as I double my VM’s, and my support tickets, you better believe they have to double their price at some point. 

Now, this is unfortunate for people with 8,10,12 core CPUs’, but hopefully long term it’s better than increasing the price of socket based licenses to account for 60 cores

Good article 

a couple points of clarification. 

1 KVM really doesn’t have any origin from RedHat. Both are Linux distros but different branches. 
Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is a free and open-source virtualizationmodule in the Linux kernel that allows the kernel to function as a hypervisor. It was merged into the mainline Linux kernel in version 2.6.20, which was released on February 5, 2007.[

1. ESS+ (essentials plus) vs VSphere standard 
    The limitations are: a. ESS+ maxes out at three hosts per vcenter essential. 96 cores max means 3 dual cpu with 16 cores each. 
    b both ESS+ and vSphere standard lack virtual distributed switch, DRS and storage vmotion features of vSphere STD: 
  2. and remenber other adv features are add-ins available with VCF and vSphere foundation versions. 
  3. everything is always subject to change. 
On our website about VMware, we translate the latest VMware by Broadcom licensing information into Polish https://ht.poznan.pl/przejecie-vmware-przez-broadcom-nowe-zasady-licencjonowania-subskrypcja-i-koniec-licencji-dozywotnich/however, there is a lack of regional (per country) VMware webinars on this topic. Customers are completely confused and we ourselves do not know what the prices and price lists of the basic versions of vSphere will be. I.e. are available on partner websites but how can you find them among 16,000 items and this is a price list valid until January 31, 2024 :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
    The limitations are: a. ESS+ maxes out at three hosts per vcenter essential. 96 cores max means 3 dual cpu with 16 cores each.

I’m seeing on Reddit that you can purchase two Essentials+ Kits and stack them, for a total of 6 hosts/192 cores.  I haven’t verified this in any documentation, but I’ve seen multiple posts about this.  This was not something you could do on the old kits. (to my knowledge)

1. everything is always subject to change. 

Truth….and it has been evolving from the start.  I think they’re getting there, but staying on top of it all, and filtering through the FUD and misinformation, or outdated information has been a task to say the least.

Very useful article! However, to be VERY PRECISE, in the section "vSphere Subscription Licensing Scenarios" instead of "(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less)" shouldn't it rather be "(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) IN ONE CPU per Host"? As far as I undertand, If we had "(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) but IN TWO CPU, 8-core each CPU" would mean that you have to count: 2 (hosts) * 2 (CPU) * 16 (cores minimum per CPU) = 64 cores.

Am I right?

Userlevel 1

Love the write up @dloseke, especially the call out that vSphere Standard might actually be cheaper now than essentials for some SMBs. 

As mentioned by others, I’m watching and waiting to see what shapes up for Service Providers as well, given they were always licensed very differently to end-user agreements. 

Yeah, that was something I questioned them on….in what scenario would it make more sense to utilize Essentials Plus instead of Standard.  And really, it’s only when you have 3 or less hosts but you’re using more than 72 cores in total, so basically 3 hosts with 24 cores, like dual 12-core processors (or 2 hosts with dual 18-core processors if those exist.  Something along those lines.  If you’re in the narrow area of having between 72 and 96 cores and 2-3 hosts, then it makes sense.

Right, say you have two hosts with even dual 6 core CPUS each - as I understand it - with standard you have to license each CPU/cores for 16 min commit, so you would be licensing 16 x 4 across two hosts with standard but also missing out on features included in essentials plus/not included in standard. 

Userlevel 1

With all the talk about Proxmox and those alternative options, I don't really see one sticking or being the leader of the pack until a big player like Veeam comes with support for backups.

I feel like this is the sticking point as well.  This is the reason I feel products like Hyper-V and AHV will still be the top choices if enterprises choose to move away from vSphere.  However, I did mention here in the past that Veeam should be looking at backups for alternatives like Proxmox and XCP-NG.  With that said, I’ve been told a few times in other forums when people talk about Proxmox and I question backups that Proxmox does have a backup server built add-on.  I doubt that it’s going to be as featured as Veeam and will have the basics, but it does have the function.  I don’t know anything about XCP-NG and backing it up.

yes proxmox backup is not as feature rich as veem...so we we should encourage veem to support proxmox, but also Proxmox is free and Proxmox backup is also free, so if you don’t need all those “extra features”, than yes Proxmox is a good alteritive that does include free backup. 

Userlevel 1

I’m seeing on Reddit that you can purchase two Essentials+ Kits and stack them, for a total of 6 hosts/192 cores.  I haven’t verified this in any documentation, but I’ve seen multiple posts about this.  This was not something you could do on the old kits. (to my knowledge)

1. everything is always subject to change. 

Truth….and it has been evolving from the start.  I think they’re getting there, but staying on top of it all, and filtering through the FUD and misinformation, or outdated information has been a task to say the least.

you could/can always do that, but they were/are separate instances & sso domains. 

Userlevel 1

Very useful article! However, to be VERY PRECISE, in the section "vSphere Subscription Licensing Scenarios" instead of "(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less)" shouldn't it rather be "(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) IN ONE CPU per Host"? As far as I undertand, If we had "(2) Hosts, 16 Total Cores per Host (or less) but IN TWO CPU, 8-core each CPU" would mean that you have to count: 2 (hosts) * 2 (CPU) * 16 (cores minimum per CPU) = 64 cores.

Am I right?

This is how I understand it to be as well.   Standard licensing is not just per core but Per Core per CPU, with a minimum 16 core commit (again per CPU).  So if you have two hosts with dual quad core CPUS, with standard you would need to licenses 16 X 4 Minimum.

Looks like standard features have changed since perpetual: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/docs/vmw-datasheet-vsphere-product-line-comparison.pdf

Hello all,

Does anyone know what happens when the subscription ends? In this new scenario from Broadcom, if I migrate all my vSpheres to a subscription model and suppose I don't renew them, will all my VMs go down? Do we have a grace period as in Veeam?

Userlevel 1

Hello all,

Does anyone know what happens when the subscription ends? In this new scenario from Broadcom, if I migrate all my vSpheres to a subscription model and suppose I don't renew them, will all my VMs go down? Do we have a grace period as in Veeam?

not sure if it changes...probably not, but previously when the eval subscription or vmug sub (which is probably the most similar) ran out, the result was:
“For ESXi hosts, license or evaluation period expiry leads to disconnection from vCenter Server. All powered on virtual machines continue to work, but you cannot power on virtual machines after they are powered off. You cannot change the current configuration of the features that are in use”   Which likely results in the APIs for backup shutting down, so veeam backups will stop too.   

Added reddit link on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/19faifh/new_vsphere_subscriptions_behavior_once_product/

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello all,

I was wondering about this as well.  My assumption is that like most subscription software, maybe it’ll go into a grace period for a couple of weeks (Veeam does this), and then it’ll stop functioning.  I don’t know the answer to this yet, but it’s a good question that I can inquire on, and is actually something I was thinking about a couple days ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Am I right?

Yeah, I had to correct my posting a couple weeks ago because I had initially believed that Broadcom followed the same licensing standard as Microsoft where it was a 16-core minimum per host, but it was pointed out and I have corrected that it’s a 16-core minimum per CPU.  Meaning, if you have dual 10-core CPU’s in a host for instance, you need to buy 32 cores of licensing for that single host.  Assuming 2 or 3 hosts, it may make more sense to buy an Essentials+ Kit for 96 cores vs buying the same in Standard unless you need the Standard feature set. That does significantly narrow the gap where Standard may be cheaper for smaller deployments if you have multiple sockets per host. I probably need to further clarify my table on exactly how that total core count is derived.

I’m fortunate in that a couple years ago my recommendation for my clients when scoping hardware was to purchase single-socket servers with 16 cores so that we still were safe on a per-socket count, but were buying right up to the core minimum for Windows Server and not leaving anything on the table for performance while not having to pay extra for additional cores.  That strategy is playing out in the long run for me, but we do have some clients with RAM-dense hosts where we had to utilize dual-sockets and thusly it’s going to cost more come “renewal” time to stay with VMware.

Very, very good writeup!

We’re right now in the process of purchasing 2 new Hosts and has been on Essentials Plus beforehand. 

So it was spot on, helping a lot to clarify the mudded / FUD’ed landscape og VMware that Broadcom has createed.

Thanks, again @dloseke!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Very, very good writeup!

We’re right now in the process of purchasing 2 new Hosts and has been on Essentials Plus beforehand. 

So it was spot on, helping a lot to clarify the mudded / FUD’ed landscape og VMware that Broadcom has createed.

Thanks, again @dloseke!

Thank you, I’m glad I was able to help!

Comment