All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

199 comments

Thanks for Swift response.

However, if i download ISO from UBUNTU Website and use it to boot on KVM Based cloud, we dont see that option available. Just want to confirm, if we can boot with normal kernel and than install HWE and reboot with new kernel works ? 

we are trying to build Ubuntu Hardened repository in either ways possible, but we dont see a way

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

it’s out of scope of the ISO: I assume there is no reason for the HWE kernel on OpenStack at all. I mean, HWE is “Hardware Enablement Stack”… a VM is not hardware.

If you really want to do it, then you can apply the hardening script manually

https://www.veeam.com/blog/backup-repository-security-disa-stig-ubuntu-step-by-step-guide.html

https://github.com/VeeamHub/veeam-hardened-repository

@Rick Vanover 

• Automatic updates are enabled.
    Is this for systems with access to the internet? what about systems without internet access?
  • The user does not have permissions to update manually.
    Will this be an option in the future for example for systems in a secure network without internet access?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Palmisano.26 

RE: Automatic Updates: Then they will fail/run without the ability to check.

RE: update manually:  This isn’t panned at this time as far as I know.

Will share with everyone a new .ISO is coming soon with some additional enhancements.

Ooooh - new enhancements.  🤔

Userlevel 1

Would it be possible to dual boot this AND Windows Server 2019?

My thought process was that most of the time my 12TB server would be the VHR but in the event that I needed it as a backup server to run the company I could load windows on boot instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover @HannesK --- I am trying to run the ISO file in one of my DC environments to create 3 VHRs.  It crashes and never seems to complete with either of the ISO files.  See the message below but is it due to CPU?  I have the VM set up with 16 vCPU and 32GB of RAM.  Maybe I just need 8x16?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It seems like plenty of resources @Chris.Childerhose  → What does the plain Ubuntul 20.04 install media do on the same equipment?

The plain one works fine.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with having to use a VLAN?  When I do this, it creates another entry - so does the IP then go on the main NIC or the new VLAN one that is associated to the primary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Here is a cleaner screenshot of my last attempt after scaling down to 8 vCPU leaving 32GB of RAM -

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It seems like plenty of resources @Chris.Childerhose  → What does the plain Ubuntul 20.04 install media do on the same equipment?

The plain one works fine.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with having to use a VLAN?  When I do this, it creates another entry - so does the IP then go on the main NIC or the new VLAN one that is associated to the primary?

It seems it is a VM, but you are passing the VLAN assignment thru to the install?

Yes - at the network screen I select the NIC and create the VLAN which creates another entry on the screen.  Then I just add the IP required to the first entry but not the second VLAN entry.  If you want a screenshot I can do that or jump on a call?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover This is the screen after the VLAN creation.  You can see the IP is blurred out but in the first entry so does it go there or the VLAN created entry?

So do you disable the first entry and enable the VLAN entry to put the IP?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover -- so I just ran the plain Ubuntu ISO just to confirm and that is working without crashing so far.  Not sure what it is with the custom ISO for the VHR.

Install completed with standard ISO for Ubuntu. 😪

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover - chalk it up to Friday, fried brain, or whatever but my always preaching the “RTFM” I did not take my own advice.  When I created my VMs to do this with I did not change the BIOS settings to EFI (Secure).  So once that change was made, reboot from ISO and work through the install it worked this time.

Happy Friday and always RTFM!  🤣😋

Has anyone found a solution to the Dell R-series servers erroring out as soon as the network connections show?  I have an R720 that will install fine with the vanilla 20.04 LTS, but errors out with this .ISO.  I have tried several different suggestions on this thread, but nothing seems to be working.  I’ve even tried changing from the Intel NIC I was using to a spare Broadcom unit I had laying around, but it didn’t seem to help.

Server specs:

• Dell R720
  • PERC H710P RAID controller
  • Intel X520 NIC
  • Running in UEFI mode
  • 112 GB SSD Boot Mirror
  • 73 TB Storage Array

If the .ISO won’t work, what do I need to do before I use the hardening script?

Thanks!

Bob

The Veeam User guide for VSphere has the information you are looking for, to save you the searching though I have linked the page below that i followed in it initial install of Ubuntu LTS 20.04. After that page i copied the Hardening script(downloaded from the github) to the server then ran it. verifying access to the drives and adding to the B&R before rebooting. 

Installing Ubuntu Linux Server - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)
VHR Script
GitHub - VeeamHub/veeam-hardened-repository: Sample code for hardening a Veeam Repository(Same as above just saves a click by going directly to the github, instead of the veeam page first)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have two VHR images, both deployed in ESXi (An 8.0 and 7.0). After the initial reboot, everything works, but I can’t SSH in anymore AND I can’t input anything via the ESXi console even trying VMRC. Both installs have this issue. Basically, if I need to access the VHR, I’m boned. Is this the intended behavior?

That is the intended behaviour for this ISO.  You need to restart it in single user mode or something like that to get SSH working in the console.  It was meant to be that way.

The Veeam User guide for VSphere has the information you are looking for, to save you the searching though I have linked the page below that i followed in it initial install of Ubuntu LTS 20.04. After that page i copied the Hardening script(downloaded from the github) to the server then ran it. verifying access to the drives and adding to the B&R before rebooting. 

Installing Ubuntu Linux Server - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)
VHR Script
GitHub - VeeamHub/veeam-hardened-repository: Sample code for hardening a Veeam Repository(Same as above just saves a click by going directly to the github, instead of the veeam page first)

Thanks.  Tried this.  The script showed some errors (files not found) near the end of the script.  I successfully installed Veeam from B&R and then rebooted the server.

Several things I noticed after the reboot of the Linux box:

• SSH is still enabled and functional (I thought this would be turned off?)
  • The server is still responding to Veeam B&R, however I was getting permission denied errors when trying to run a copy job to the machine.  I was able to change permissions using sudo chown, which I thought sudo would be disabled from the script.

As I’m thinking about it, maybe I’m supposed to do the entire Veeam guide before the script instead of just the initial install?

Thanks!

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Chris. So I would just need to reboot the VM, then hold down shift until I get into the GRUB menu?

Thanks for your quick response, by the way.

I believe so but not an expert on these just yet.  LOL

I have deployed them for use and connected to Veeam but that is all.  Check the first page for the docs and video to see as I think it is covered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately, I can’t even enter any inputs when I get into rescue mode, either. I guess it really is locked down tight, I can’t even get access to it.

Yeah, it is really meant as a “Set it & Forget it” type thing.  🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I had to re-build a vcenter and all new active-fulls were created. I’ll need to delete the old active-full in order to have enough space for backups. I can’t get a break this week =).

I am glad you going thru this drill @ThatsNASt → The installable .ISO is meant to super-harden the system. If you don’t want that - use the normal way with off the shelf Ubuntu. 

If you are stuck and need these backups put somewhere - you can put them into a SOBR and seal the extent or use Veeamover after it is expired immutability term.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@ThatsNASt : yes, single-user mode is the only way to get into the system after the first reboot. That’s by design. The blog post regnor mentioned is the correct one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Well, my theory did not work so I am stuck on this one DC for deploying these.  Need to do some thinking but if anything, else comes to mind do share.

Interesting - one random idea Chris….  A) Reboot the VHR and B) do an infrastructure rescan after it is back online.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Duplicate MAC? If still on a VM...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Shouldn't be as I even deleted the VM from disk to recreate it from scratch and use the previous June 5th ISO too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Shouldn't be as I even deleted the VM from disk to recreate it from scratch and use the previous June 5th ISO too.

OK makes sense. I am not sure why it can’t see it. Any VLAN stuff? That’s about only next thing to think of.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I have the feeling, that this has nothing to do with the ISO itself. So my suggestion would be to ask support, because it’s regular Ubuntu 20.04 which is supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Or something environmental/equipment-related.