Collaboration Request - Ansible Collection for the Veeam Backup & Replication RestAPI.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hello,

I have started to create an Ansible Collection for the Veeam Backup & Replication RestAPI. It's more like a PoC and I need to complain that my python skills are bad. 

In the case anyone is interrested in collobarting for this project, feel free to contact me.

Current state:

https://github.com/vMarkusK/veeam_rest-ansible

Best wishes
Markus

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Intetesting, I will have a look at it. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Definitely interested @Markus.K1985. let me know how i can help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I can jump in on this if I can find some time.

I am finishing out some other projects, starting a book, and helping @k00laidIT with another Veeam/PowerShell/API project, but will see if I have some cycles.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Markus.K1985 Happy to help test :D 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I know @Chris.Arceneaux did a lot with Ansible and Veeam. I believe only installation. But he might be able to help you

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Interesting work, thank you for sharing @Markus.K1985 but still waiting some ansibles on the galaxy hub supported by Veeam.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Markus.K1985 I’d love to assist as well as add the functionality to the ansible collection in VeeamHub.

I’m currently in the process of updating the collection to support v12 so everyone can use it to hit the ground running when it’s released! 😎

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Markus.K1985 I’d love to assist as well as add the functionality to the ansible collection in VeeamHub.

I’m currently in the process of updating the collection to support v12 so everyone can use it to hit the ground running when it’s released! 😎

I don't think merging these two collections is a good idea.
- Mix of PowerShell and Python based modules.
- Different use cases, infra lifecycle with native PS Module and VBR operations via RestAPI.

However, I would like to see the modul moved to the VeeamHub. I already uses this namespace

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Interesting work, thank you for sharing @Markus.K1985 but still waiting some ansibles on the galaxy hub supported by Veeam.

Do you think that will happen?
It is more likely that RedHat itself will jump on, as it is the case with the vmware_rest Collection.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Understood. However, I’ll say that Ansible collections were designed so that all modules, roles, and sample playbooks of a product could be listed in a single collection versus having multiple disparate projects. What’s outlined here wouldn’t conflict/duplicate already existing content as the aforementioned collection is geared only towards Install/Patch/Upgrade and not configuring the software.

However, I would like to see the module moved to the VeeamHub. 

If you change your mind, I’d be happy to host these modules within Ansible collection in the modules folder:

https://github.com/VeeamHub/veeam-ansible/tree/master/plugins/modules

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Understood. However, I’ll say that Ansible collections were designed so that all modules, roles, and sample playbooks of a product could be listed in a single collection versus having multiple disparate projects. What’s outlined here wouldn’t conflict/duplicate already existing content as the aforementioned collection is geared only towards Install/Patch/Upgrade and not configuring the software.

However, I would like to see the module moved to the VeeamHub. 

If you change your mind, I’d be happy to host these modules within Ansible collection in the modules folder:

https://github.com/VeeamHub/veeam-ansible/tree/master/plugins/modules

I will think about it @Chris.Arceneaux .

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Chris.Arceneaux is this the kind of merge of our collections that you had in mind?

https://github.com/vMarkusK/veeam-ansible/tree/merge

Changes based on the merge have not yet been fully tested. Just looking for early feedback.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

That’s exactly where I saw the modules. Instead of the documentation added to the main README, I was planning on this information going in the docs directory (doesn’t exist currently). The documentation for the current role in this collection would be moved as well.

This would bring things more in line with Ansible’s defined collection structure and would make it more easy to consume via Ansible Galaxy.

Comment