Question

Budget NAS or Something else for offsite backup copies

Userlevel 2

First time posting here; please take it easy on me, lol.

I am looking for a budget device for office site backup copies. We have been using an older Synology DSPlay, but it just died. Having something that integrates with Veeam or that my Veeam server could directly connect to (network-based) would be nice. I would love to know what others are doing for a budget storage system for backup copies.

We are currently backing up to a super micro storage server, syncing to Amazon, and I would like the local off-site option back in the mix.

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I am looking for a budget device for office site backup copies. We have been using an older Synology DSPlay, but it just died. Having something that integrates with Veeam or that my Veeam server could directly connect to (network-based) would be nice. I would love to know what others are doing for a budget storage system for backup copies.

We are currently backing up to a super micro storage server, syncing to Amazon, and I would like the local off-site option back in the mix.

Hi

IF you are doing local, Amazon (outside) I would suggest a local Immutable storage, Linux Server or a deduplicated immutable storage like HPE StoreOnce.
But just to know, are you doing backups from veeam to Amazon S3? or other workaround to Amazon?
Have you check Wasabi S3 Storage for cloud backup?

Here you can see the link with some Veeam partners regarding storage:
https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner-integrations-qualifications.html?page=1

cheers.

Userlevel 3

Maybe you can look at these people as well.

https://stonefly.com/storage/uso-appliance

Userlevel 4
Badge

Like Amore514 said, check out Wasabi for immutable storage.. or just replace the older synology with a DS220+

Userlevel 2

Hi

IF you are doing local, Amazon (outside) I would suggest a local Immutable storage, Linux Server or a deduplicated immutable storage like HPE StoreOnce.
But just to know, are you doing backups from veeam to Amazon S3? or other workaround to Amazon?

cheers.

Main backup is to a Supermicro storage server then Sync to Amazon Immutable storage. Our main repository is not Immutable storage, we just upgraded to V12 so i am going to look at the Immutable settings for the main backup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

cheers.

Main backup is to a Supermicro storage server then Sync to Amazon Immutable storage. Our main repository is not Immutable storage, we just upgraded to V12 so i am going to look at the Immutable settings for the main backup. 

Direct to object is the way to go with v12.  Look at Wasabi as they have really great pricing and can be Immutable.

how budget?  get a desktop or server and run TrueNAS on it.   Also Quantum offers DXI which is a dedupe appliance, that can run virtual or buy their hardware, the 5tb virtual version is free.

Comment