Solved

GFS - backup full + incrementals

Hi,

I have a GFS backup to tape running and recently changed one of the regular backups to a incremental one (was reverse incremental).

The backup has a weekly full job each Sunday and I figured (and have been told by support while working on a case we had) that if I schedule the weekly GFS to tape (we don’t do daily) to Saturday it would backup the whole chain (so full from Sunday + daily incrementalls ending on Saturday).

Well the GFS job created a synthetic full, so I have only one restore point instead of 7.

Is there a way around that?

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 14 November 2022, 11:46

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Tape GFS job creates synthetic fulls for weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly backups. Otherwise theses backups wouldn’t be independent from other backups.

Define the daily backups in the GFS job and you are fine and you get the whole chain for the week on tape.

The Tape GFS job creates synthetic fulls for weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly backups. Otherwise theses backups wouldn’t be independent from other backups.

Define the daily backups in the GFS job and you are fine and you get the whole chain for the week on tape.

But then, in the daily tape jobs it will also create synthetics, am I right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But then, in the daily tape jobs it will also create synthetics, am I right?

As far as I know are the daily jobs copied as-is and no synthetics are created. Synthetics are created for the  other backups only.

Comment