Skip to main content
Question

Importing restore point back into the same cluster from S3 if retired

Hi Support,

I have been doing some tests and was wondering about a particular situation. 

I am able to retire (Kasten’s terminology) restore points from a K10 deployment. They disappear from the UI. However, since I have setup immutable buckets on S3 I am able to add the location profile in another cluster and import those restore points there.

However, I can’t find a way to import back into the same cluster and K10 instance a retired restore point.

So if for instance by mistake or maliciously someone retires a restore point. Then someone else tries to import it back into the cluster it will fail with a message “same-cluster import forbidden”. 

Is there any way to “bring out of retirement” 🙂 so to speak these restore points back in the same cluster?

4 comments

Badge

As stated in the https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/migration.html#importing-applications  "Import policies are only supported for importing applications into a cluster that is different from the one where the application was captured." Therefore, to bring a retired restore point back to the same cluster, you must use DR restore, provided your DR backup included the restore point before it was retired. We also tested the immutable S3 scenario as you described, and the statement remains valid. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks @michaelxue . Would it be possible to put in a feature request to prevent manually retiring restore points if they are on immutable storage? I am thinking to something similar to what Veeam does in relation to immutable backups? When I worked at a service provider often customers would ask me to test the immutability of the backups by going in and trying to delete them. 

cheers

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Geoff Burke 

Sure, it's a valid request, and I can ask for this feature. Currently, the only option is to use DR restore as Michael said.

BR,
Ahmed Hagag

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the quick responses. By the way I love the new DR restore in the UI! 

Comment