Another day another upgrade, Lets Remember how easy it is to upgrade K10

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Everyone,

Kasten K10 5.5.2 was just released. There are the usual add support for new Kubernetes version: 1.24, 1.25 and Openshift 4.11 but also in the last line of the release notes this interesting tid bit: 

• Added support to snapshot/restore the OpenShift Virtualization Virtual Machines that have DataVolumes defined separately i.e., not as part of VirtualMachine resource.”

Since all of this might get people very excited and eager to try it out lets go over again how we do an upgrade of our existing K10 setup. 

An alert will be generated in your Dashboard when a new version becomes available, you will see it in the top right hand corner and if you click on it all alerts will be displayed:

Alerts

Alerts
​​​​​​

The alert points to the K10 Upgrade Docs that will explain what is needed in order to upgrade.

You can also go into settings:

Settings

There on the left hand side press Support and in the Cluster Information area you will be shown what version of Kasten you are currently using and what version is available, again with a link to the upgrade instructions:

Cluster Info

If we follow that link we get the super easy upgrade commands:

helm repo update && \
helm get values k10 --output yaml --namespace=kasten-io > k10_val.yaml && \
helm upgrade k10 kasten/k10 --namespace=kasten-io -f k10_val.yaml
command

After a few minutes we are done:

CLI results

Be patient while all the pods are recreated after which you should now see your instance upgraded:

Cluster Information

Now time to test!!

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Really like these articles and when I get some time to go through this I will.  Looks like I need to take some vacation to learn Kasten/Kubernetes. 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Geoff Burke Thank you for your sharing.

Comment