Solved

The best CSI driver for NFS and Kasten K10 ?

• 8 December 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I setup k8s internal cluster by k3s. I have QNAP device as NFS server, used as storage for PVC data.

I’m using NFS CSI driver for Kubernetes .
I read these topics:

https://kubernetes-csi.github.io/docs/drivers.html

It seems that the NFS CSI driver for Kubernetes does not satisfy the requirements of kasten k10 ?

If so, can you suggest me which CSI driver supports NFS and fits the requirements of kasten k10?

Please give me some advice, thank you very much.

icon

Best answer by Aly Idriss 8 December 2023, 07:16

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi jackchuong

NFS CSI doesnot support any snapshot capabilities, the main requirements is that CSI should support snapshot capabilities.

As a workaround, you can use Kasten Generic Backup, but with Kasten version 6.5 and later, this will require you to open a support case to enable this feature. 

BR,

Ali

Userlevel 1

Hi jackchuong

NFS CSI doesnot support any snapshot capabilities, the main requirements is that CSI should support snapshot capabilities.

As a workaround, you can use Kasten Generic Backup, but with Kasten version 6.5 and later, this will require you to open a support case to enable this feature. 

BR,

Ali

Thank you very much for your answer,

I am considering continuing with NFS CSI + Kasten Generic Backup and switching to another storage provider that supports both NFS and snapshot capabilities such as Longhorn, OpenEBS, Rook? Can you give me advice?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

jackchuong,

You can use Kasten to migrate your workload from NFS to CSI storage that support snapshot capabilities.

I already tested Longhorn and it was very good and easy experience, and regarding other storages I never used them or tested them. 

Ali

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have tried all three Longhorn, OpenEBS and Rook. Rook was the most complicated but once running was fine. Longhorn was the easiest to setup. Just make sure to use csi snapshots and not the default type that Longhorn offers (At least I remember somethign to that affect, double check the documentation to certain). cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ok I think this was the issue. The volumesnapshotclass should be snap

https://kb.kasten.io/knowledge/debugging-backups-with-longhorn-csi

Userlevel 2

hi @Geoff Burke which is the most stable version of Longhorn for Kasten? I tried longhorn i was getting error in PV and PVC

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So I just recently did an install, everything was the latest versions and I had no issues. I did have issues  a year ago with longhorn and posted here about it as well

Comment