Solved

Policy with both snapshot and blueprint

Userlevel 2

Hi everyone!

I am testing Kasten K10 v4.5.8 on my rancher cluster v1.21.9-rancher1, it is installed in air gapped mode with the flag global.airgapped.repository. 
I am doing some tests and I am wondering if it’s possible create a policy to snapshotting PVs and to perform a blueprint for logical backup.
I have made some tests and what I have seen is that:
- when I execute a policy for one application (namespace) and I have annotated the associated workload (StatefulSet/Deployment) with a kanister blueprint, as output artifact I get only the kanister and I don’t have a PV Snapshot;
- when I execute a policy for one application (namespace) and I have not annotated the associated workload (StatefulSet/Deployment) with a kanister blueprint, as output artifact I get only the PV Snapshot;
Maybe the snapshot of PV and the logical backup with kanister blueprint are mutually exclusive?
Can I create a policy that returns both type of artifacts?

Many thanks for support!

icon

Best answer by Geoff Burke 15 March 2022, 12:49

View original

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Mario996

The blueprint backup would be using  the injected sidecar for that backup, so just like a generic backup for workloads that are on storage that do not support snapshots. On the other hand the snapshots would be taken with supported CSI drivers so I think you are correct. In that case, and if I have not gotten confused it would seem that if you wanted both perhaps you need to have two backup policies. Again I need to double check this myself.  

Userlevel 2

Hi Geoff,

many thanks for replying.

I have already tried with two policy but since I have annotated the statefulset of the application with the blueprint for logical backup I have always the only kanister artifact as output (with the application spec). I have also tried to filter out the workload (statefulset/Deployment) in the policy to backup the PV of the application but in this case when I execute the policy I get only the application spec as output. 
Since if I execute the kanister blueprint I can't get the PV snapshot, I have to find a way to occasionally put and remove the kanister annotation from the statefulset/Deployment YAML manifest (if I want to execute PV snapshot I have to remove the blueprint annotation from the statefulset/deployment manifest and, conversely, if I want to execute logical backup I have to annotate the statefulset/deployment manifest).

Many thanks for support!

Comment