Question

Kasten issue after upgrading to v12

Userlevel 1

Hi,

After upgrading too v12, several of our customers get a warning about the Kasten K10 plugin (which has never been installed AFAIK). I received an error message at the end of the upgrade (not blocking) and now we get warnings like :

07-03-23 04:00:56 Warning Failed to connect to Kasten K10 plug-in: External platform service 21c55b86-a09c-454b-a751-07b26c4787c4 is not registered. Check if Veeam Plugin value in the registry is valid, and restart Veeam Backup Service
07-03-23 04:00:56 Warning Failed to connect to GCP plug-in: Failed to login to platform service: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

I didn’t find anything in the forums. Does anyone know what can be done.

Thanks

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jaiganeshjk 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello there!

I don’t know exactly about Kasten, but what I know is that upgrade to v12 is not recommendable in case of cloud plugins integrations:

• If cloud plug-ins are used… At GA the Veeam Backup for Google Cloud v4 plug-in is ready, the AWS and Azure plug-ins will be GA a few weeks after V12’s GA. (See Post-Publish Updates - AWS plug-in has taken an update).

We can see that on V12 Upgrade Center.

We’re seeing Kasten plugin errors when backing up the Veeam config. Backup still finished but gives a warning that it could not connect to Kasten K10 plugin. We have never used Kasten anything. Cannot find any solutions either.

We`re seeing same problem with Kaste plugin and GCP plugin when Backup configuration job finished in V12. Upgrade to v12 was performed yesterday. Any solution? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @Christophe Evrard 

What is the Kasten K10 application version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We`re seeing same problem with Kaste plugin and GCP plugin when Backup configuration job finished in V12. Upgrade to v12 was performed yesterday. Any solution? 

Hello @jurica.radovan 

As per Veeam technical guide:

Integration with Veeam Backup for Public Clouds

Are you using Veeam Backup & Replication integrated with Veeam Backup for Public Cloud solutions? The plugins of theses products must be aligned with the version of the products. Otherwise, the upgrade to Veeam Backup & Replication 12 will return a warning. You can continue the upgrade, but integration of Veeam Backup & Replication with these products will not work properly. As of 14.02.2023:

• Veeam Backup for AWS: plugin for this product is not included into the Veeam Backup & Replication 12 package. It will be released later. If you use Veeam Backup & Replication integrated with this product, do not upgrade to version 12 and follow the news for the upcoming updates.
  • Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure: plugin for this product is not included into the Veeam Backup & Replication 12 package. It will be released later. If you use Veeam Backup & Replication integrated with this product, do not upgrade to version 12 and follow the news for the upcoming updates.
  • Veeam Backup for Google Cloud: plugin for this product is included into the Veeam Backup & Replication 12 package. During the upgrade to version 12, the plugin for this product will be automatically upgraded to the required version.

So, I think you should wait for Cloud native new plugin version release which is very soon 

Hello @Moustafa_Hindawi , we are using B&R only to backup our Private Cloud (Vmware Production systems). So as you wrote both plugins needs to be aligned and for now we need to wait for a new version of plugins?

Thanks

Io ho semplicemente disinstallato i due plugin, essendo che a me non servono, poi il backup della configurazione è andato a buon fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We’re seeing Kasten plugin errors when backing up the Veeam config. Backup still finished but gives a warning that it could not connect to Kasten K10 plugin. We have never used Kasten anything. Cannot find any solutions either.

@jurica.radovan @blackryan 

Are those two windows services disabled? Please enable the windows services for GCP and Kasten plugin and test again.

Best,

Fabian

@Mildur GCP service is running but I do not have a Kasten plugin service at all. All Veeam services are enabled and running.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Similar thread on the Forums FYI: Backup configuration job with warning after upgrade to V12 - R&D Forums (veeam.com)  - Short answer is if the plug-in isn’t used, it was uninstalled and error stopped.

But I like @Mildur ‘s response just above.

Just wanted to say that this thread lead me down the direction needed to resolve this issue.

For some reason the Kubernetes plugin was installed, even though we’ve never used it, or use Kubernetes. After uninstalling the plugin the configuration backup completed without any warnings or errors.

The strange part is that this plugin was installed at the same time as the Veeam V12 software was and our config backup’s have been working just fine until just this weekend when we started getting warning messages suddenly.

Hi everyone,

in my case, this kind of warning on K10 plugin only started unexpectedly after upgrading to 12.0.0.1420 (P20230718).

Veeam support suggested to remove it if not used, but, as far I know, all cloud plugins (AWS, Azue, K10, Google) are installed during a new installation or an upgrade of Veeam Backup & Replication, so, instead of uninstalling the plugin, I decided to upgrade K10 plugin from 12.0.1.3 to 12.0.1.4.

Steps followed:

1. Uninstall the K10 plugin 12.0.1.3
  2. Reboot the Veeam server
  3. Install the 12.0.1.4 K10 plugin

It has worked! Configuration backup has no more warning. Hope it helps.

Hi everyone,

in my case, this kind of warning on K10 plugin only started unexpectedly after upgrading to 12.0.0.1420 (P20230718).

Veeam support suggested to remove it if not used, but, as far I know, all cloud plugins (AWS, Azue, K10, Google) are installed during a new installation or an upgrade of Veeam Backup & Replication, so, instead of uninstalling the plugin, I decided to upgrade K10 plugin from 12.0.1.3 to 12.0.1.4.

Steps followed:

1. Uninstall the K10 plugin 12.0.1.3
  2. Reboot the Veeam server
  3. Install the 12.0.1.4 K10 plugin

It has worked! Configuration backup has no more warning. Hope it helps.

Where did you get the latest plugin from? I too experienced this last night after patching with the hot fix. 

Edit: forget it - found it here :) https://www.veeam.com/data-platform-premium-trial-download.html?tab=cloud-plugins&ad=in-text-link

Comment