Solved

ImagePullBackOff ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl

• 5 October 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have installed Kasten v6.0.7 with Helm Chart.
I use the air gap installation for pull images in local repository with this config :

global:
image:
registry: <private_repository>:<port>
repository: kasten-images
pullPolicy: IfNotPresent
airgapped:
repository: <private_repository>:<port>/kasten-images

and

kanisterToolsImage:
registry: <private_repository>:<port>
repository: kanisterio
image: kanister-tools

It works for all images exept one : ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18
I have this error events :

55s (x4 over 2m23s)    Normal    Pulling          Pod/kanister-job-bzts6                                                      Pulling image "ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18:0.96.0"
46s (x4 over 2m15s) Normal Pulling Pod/kanister-job-fwwp7 Pulling image "ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18:0.96.0"
46s (x6 over 2m27s) Warning Failed Pod/kanister-job-mg8c4 Error: ImagePullBackOff
46s Warning Failed Pod/kanister-job-fwwp7 Failed to pull image "ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18:0.96.0": rpc error: code = Unknown desc = failed to pull and unpack image "ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18:0.96.0": failed to resolve reference "ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18:0.96.0": failed to do request: Head "https://ghcr.io/v2/kanisterio/kanister-kubectl-1.18/manifests/0.96.0": dial tcp 140.82.121.34:443: connect: connection refused
3m26s Warning ActionSetFailed Action: backup Blueprint/k10-pgo-bp-0.0.3 Failed to execute phase: v1alpha1.Phase{Name:"pgoBackup", State:"pending", Output:map[string]interface {}(nil)}: Failed while waiting for Pod kanister-job-wb8vq to be ready: Pod failed to become ready in time: Failed to fetch logs from the pod: container "container" in pod "kanister-job-wb8vq" is waiting to start: trying and failing to pull image
3m26s Warning ActionSetFailed Action: backup ActionSet/k10-backup-k10-pgo-bp-0.0.3-postgres-storage5gh5 Failed to execute phase: v1alpha1.Phase{Name:"pgoBackup", State:"pending", Output:map[string]interface {}(nil)}: Failed while waiting for Pod kanister-job-wb8vq to be ready: Pod failed to become ready in time: Failed to fetch logs from the pod: container "container" in pod "kanister-job-wb8vq" is waiting to start: trying and failing to pull image
3m24s Warning ActionSetFailed Action: backup Blueprint/k10-pgo-bp-0.0.3 Failed to execute phase: v1alpha1.Phase{Name:"pgoBackup", State:"pending", Output:map[string]interface {}(nil)}: Failed while waiting for Pod kanister-job-6qkb9 to be ready: Pod failed to become ready in time: Pod did not transition into running state. Timeout:15m0s Namespace:kasten-io, Name:kanister-job-6qkb9: client rate limiter Wait returned an error: context deadline exceeded

Is there another place to change the ghcr.io repo to my local repo ?

Thanks

Regards

icon

Best answer by Hagag 5 October 2023, 22:31

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@bryan.audo-ext 

By default, the k10tools command will use the publicly available kanister-tools image at ghcr.io/kanisterio/kanister-tools:<Kanister version>. Since this image is not available in air-gapped environments, to override the default image, set the KANISTER_TOOLS environment variable to the kanister-tools image that is available in the air-gapped environment's local registry. The kanister-tools version can be found by running this command in a shell that has access to the public internet and with the appropriate K10 version. docker run --rm -it gcr.io/kasten-images/k10offline:<K10 version> list-images | grep kanister-tools.

Example:

export KANISTER_TOOLS=<your local registry>/<your local repository name>/kanister-tools:k10-<Kanister version>

Userlevel 1

Hello @Hagag 

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is not kasten-images/kanister-tools.
The KANISTER_TOOLS variable is already overloaded in the kasten-io deployment via the k10-config configmap :

deployment kanister-svc:

- name: KANISTER_TOOLS
valueFrom:
configMapKeyRef:
key: overwriteKanisterTools
name: k10-config

cm k10-config:

overwriteKanisterTools: <private_repository>:<port>/kasten-images/kanister-tools:k10-0.95.0

It's kanisterio/kanister-kubectl which always use ghcr.io by default.

I tried adding a environment variable KANISTER_KUBECTL to the kasten-io deployment, but with no success 🙂

Is there an environment variable for kanister-kubectl ?

Regards

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@bryan.audo-ext  

I notice that you're employing PGOBackup is that correct ?
k10 is generating a blueprint for this backup type within the kasten-io namespace. and you might need to modify the image repository and tag within the blueprint.

Could you please provide a list of blueprints within the kasten-io namespace? You can achieve this by using either of the following commands:

kubectl get blueprints -n kasten-io
or

kubectl get blueprints.cr.kanister.io -n kasten-io

Userlevel 1

Hello @Hagag,

Yes, it works now ! It was indeed on the CRD blueprints that the ghcr.io repo was declared.
I modified it via kubectl edit blueprints -n kasten-io k10-pgo-bp-0.0.3 and replaced the image: ghcr.io with my local repo.

Perhaps to be modified when creating the CRD if air gap mode is used in a future version ?

Thank's for your help.

Regards

Comment