Question

[Flux CD]Exporting metadata fails - Invalid token reference error

Userlevel 2

We use GitOps with FluxCD... 

I added new Profiles and Policies as *.yaml into k10. They all got accepted/validated, but as soon as the policy runs they all fail with the error message “exporting metadata failed”. 

I found this post which is related i think. Exporting metadata fails - Invalid token reference error | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Since we use FluxCd and it doesnt offer the “ignoreDifferences:” feature is there another solution to this problem?

error:
cause: '{"cause":{"cause":{"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate.go:796","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getMigrationString","linenumber":796,"message":"Invalid
token
reference"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate.go:772","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getMigrationData","linenumber":772,"message":"Failed
to get migration
string"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate.go:100","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.(*migrateSendPhase).Run","linenumber":100,"message":"Failed
to get migration data"}'
exceptions:
- cause: '{"cause":{"cause":{"cause":{"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate.go:796","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getMigrationString","linenumber":796,"message":"Invalid
token
reference"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate.go:772","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getMigrationData","linenumber":772,"message":"Failed
to get migration
string"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate_cleanup.go:61","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.(*migrateCleanupPhase).run","linenumber":61,"message":"Failed
to get migration data"},"fields":[],"message":"Failed to cleanup
collections"}'
message: Failure in collections cleanup phase. Collections may be orphaned.
- cause: '{"cause":{"cause":{"cause":{"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate.go:796","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.getMigrationString","linenumber":796,"message":"Invalid
token
to get migration
string"},"file":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase/migrate_cleanup.go:61","function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/exec/phases/phase.(*migrateCleanupPhase).run","linenumber":61,"message":"Failed
collections"}'
token
to get migration
collections"}'

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jaiganeshjk 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Chris.Childerhose 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@markbon I think Flux CD also has a similar feature called ignore that allows you to ignore certain differences between the desired and observed state of the policy resource during a sync operation.

you can specify a JSONPath expression in the annotations section of the manifest for the resource. using fluxcd.io/ignore:

The Jason PathExpression:  → .spec.actions[].exportParameters

the 2nd option is to ignore syncing the policy resources by using FluxCD --ignore flag.

Userlevel 2

@Hagag Thx for your reply. I just checked the fluxcd docs again and all i found is spec.ignore to ignore files in the deplyoment folder…

apiVersion: source.toolkit.fluxcd.io/v1
kind: GitRepository
metadata:
name: webapp
namespace: apps
spec:
interval: 1m0s # check for new commits every minute and apply changes
url: https://github.com/org/webapp # clone over HTTPS
secretRef: # use token auth
name: webapp-git-token # Flux user PAT (read-only access)
ref:
branch: main
ignore: |
# exclude all
/*
# include deploy dir
!/deploy

Maybe you where refering more to something likte this? FAQ | Flux (fluxcd.io)

kustomize.toolkit.fluxcd.io/reconcile: disabled
or
kustomize.toolkit.fluxcd.io/ssa: merge

I just tried i but i still get the same error.

I couldnt find a way to exclude specific expression/field. But if anyone knows better you are welcome 😁

oh and its fluxV2 btw…

Comment