Studying to pass your VMCE certification exam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Although there is a lot of great content out there, sometimes you may just be stuck and not sure what your next steps should be.

I’ve been planning some YouTube live Q&A/Study group sessions and wanted to check if there would be any interest in such a format from the good folks here?

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Already did my 2020 VMCE but I’ve been steering my colleagues to your content as I think it’s brilliant and it’s always nice to see the content through someone else’s eyes and interpretations, I’d really like to see a live session or sessions when the next VMCE comes out (assumingly for v11). Just please ensure it’s recorded and available for those in different time zones :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Already did my 2020 VMCE but I’ve been steering my colleagues to your content as I think it’s brilliant and it’s always nice to see the content through someone else’s eyes and interpretations, I’d really like to see a live session or sessions when the next VMCE comes out (assumingly for v11). Just please ensure it’s recorded and available for those in different time zones :)

That makes perfect sense. Which time zones do you think would be the most appropriate? Maybe CDT for Americas? CET for EMEA? and perhaps SGT for APJ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That makes perfect sense. Which time zones do you think would be the most appropriate? Maybe CDT for Americas? CET for EMEA? and perhaps SGT for APJ?

In principle, I agree they are good time zones, but crucially the best attendance will be determined by what time you carry this out within those time zones. For example CET is perfect for EMEA if you carry out a morning training, if you get to late afternoon then carry out the training then people in eastern Europe may be less likely to attend.

CDT then by contrast is better slightly later in the day as you have less competing time zones that are further ahead.

As for APJ, it depends where the bulk of the customers are really but towards the middle of the day is probably best due to the wide region that can cover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A live study group is a brilliant idea :thumbsup_tone1:

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hello, I'm fresh from VMCE202 certification, maybe it would be nice to organize a study group even for the VMCA architect certification. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

A live study group is a brilliant idea :thumbsup_tone1:

I think each session should be up to 30 minutes, seems most people start to not effectively learn after that. Any thoughts on the length?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As for APJ, it depends where the bulk of the customers are really but towards the middle of the day is probably best due to the wide region that can cover.

I’m thinking maybe around 16:30 MYT/GMT+8 for APJ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think a duration of 30 or 45 minutes is good. Then most people can participate at a normal workday without too much (time)-problems.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

hello, I'm fresh from VMCE202 certification, maybe it would be nice to organize a study group even for the VMCA architect certification. :)

Even I am interested in VMCA but you need to go through official Veeam training for 3 days to get the certification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Even I am interested in VMCA but you need to go through official Veeam training for 3 days to get the certification.

It’s two days :) the VMCE is 3 days and then the VMCE-ADO required for the VMCA is 2 days :) all in all you can see all the course content in a week, with enough time to lab! I really recommend the VMCA, so much useful information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Of course, first you take the course, and then you could deepen here certain technical aspects with the help of the veeam community: D

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did anyone take the VMCE 2020 online via Pearson VUE?  Just wondering about experiences, etc.  I am planning to take it online next month at some point to update my current VMCE.  I already have VMCA too so just want to take this.  Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did anyone take the VMCE 2020 online via Pearson VUE?  Just wondering about experiences, etc.  I am planning to take it online next month at some point to update my current VMCE.  I already have VMCA too so just want to take this.  Thoughts?

Hey, I did. Whilst my VMCE 2020 experience was fine for the most part, it’s not as easy as it could be. They’re really strict on some criteria, so you can only have the one screen but also NO other screens in the room unless you can prove they have no power, which makes remote examinations much harder if you have a TV in most rooms etc, in which case you’ve probably got to stake a claim to your bathroom for a couple of hours! They want pictures/ a webcam tour of the room you’re in. I did my test in my baby’s room and they wanted to examine the top of the changing table to make sure there were no notes on it etc.

Whilst once I got through this it was fine, I sat my MS-100 the following week and had a horrible experience that to this day is my most upvoted Reddit post. I joined as early as I could, supplied my ID etc and waited. An hour and a half after the exam was due to start they connected and told me they couldn’t start my exam because I hadn’t provided my ID, you can’t get to the start screen I was on without both submitting your ID and having the automated system validate it before it goes to the human verification. Once I clarified this they told me that there was a problem with my machine and I’d have to reconnect, I asked if I’d still be able to as it was so long after the start time and they said I would be able to using the same ID, NOPE. You can connect 15 minutes before or after your exam start time only, so I counted as a no show for my exam and their customer service queue gave me another 1.5 hours wait before telling me someone would get back to me in 3-5 working days. They eventually rescheduled mine but I had to get very vocal on social media to get them to answer me.

My final piece of advice is that when you’re signing in, they put you in a bit of an awkward scenario. They want you to scan your ID by using your mobile phone camera or your webcam, once this is done they say it’s exam conditions so you must put your phone away and not show any signs of using it until the exam is over, then they put you on the waiting screen where they start recording you. However your first question you’re asked is if there’s a problem, should they contact you via the exam application or call your mobile. This is a catch-22 as if you’re sat waiting for ages with your phone on Do Not Disturb, they may be trying to call you. But if you’re waiting and someone else calls you and you check it in case it’s them, you just broke the rules of the exam and can be disqualified.

Be mindful of the above and read the remote exam criteria, then you should be fine. Though I was also scared my VMCE2020 didn’t count as hitting end exam made their app crash, but thankfully I’d already done everything I needed to pass!

I don’t want to scare you, I just wish someone had told me what a pain it was! Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow.  Have to rethink this but the issue is the new lockdown so might need to suck it up and try online.

Thanks for the post and feedback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow.  Have to rethink this but the issue is the new lockdown so might need to suck it up and try online.

Thanks for the post and feedback.

When you go to book it gives you the requirements so definitely read them well, my work have set up a space so we can take exams if the office if necessary. I’ve actually booked in for my next exam doing it online but it isn’t as straight forward as going to a test centre and yep with lockdown it’s just not ideal. As for the VMCE2020 exam though I thought it was a really good balance of testing both technical knowledge of the product and applying it in realistic terms, none of the trick questions that Microsoft throw at you!

Comment