Question

since installing Agent 6.1.0.349 many "Job HOST_1"s being created

• 29 February 2024
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 2

Before installing Agent for Windows 6.1.0.349, unlicensed, I’d never seen a “Job HOST_1” created. That’s on something like seven years and two or three Windows 10/11 clients running the free agent every night. Since installing 6.1.0.349, I see these created by one or more of the three clients most night. One client is Windows 10, two are Windows 11, all target a Synology Diskstation over SMB, one via Ethernet connection and two via WiFi.

These started showing up the first night after installing the Agent update.

I’ve deleted or relocated the _1 job folder on the server, and then edited the job on the client to map it back to the “Job HOST” backup set. It says HOST is already using the backup Job HOST. I say OK. Happiness is restored, the job runs as expected, and all is good until I go looking for Job HOST_1 folders the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Any suggestions?

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s hard to know, but if it’s only 3 clients and this started happening after the update, is it an options remove, reinstall the Agent and start new backup chains?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Would suggest rather than reinstalling the Agent can you start a new backup chain for the jobs?  Create a new job with new name and start a new chain.  Then see if the same thing happens and if not, that will fix, but a support case would determine the root cause.  I would test on one Agent first.

Userlevel 2

It’s “only three clients” but it’s also “all three of my VEEAM clients”.

I’m a little hesitant to start (a) new backup chain(s) since some nights, some clients, some nights, all clients, work just fine with the existing chains. And when I edit/map the jobs to the existing chains, they run fine. So that makes me think it isn’t some problem with the chains themselves. I’m also skeptical about Agent uninstall/reinstall since three different clients, each installed separately, each did its own download, are all showing, intermittently, the same problem. My suspicion is it has something to do with some transient state of the network when the Agent wakes the machine up to run the job that is being treated differently after the Agent update than before. Like the Agent is running before the rest of the network stack has its act together or something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s “only three clients” but it’s also “all three of my VEEAM clients”.

I’m a little hesitant to start (a) new backup chain(s) since some nights, some clients, some nights, all clients, work just fine with the existing chains. And when I edit/map the jobs to the existing chains, they run fine. So that makes me think it isn’t some problem with the chains themselves. I’m also skeptical about Agent uninstall/reinstall since three different clients, each installed separately, each did its own download, are all showing, intermittently, the same problem. My suspicion is it has something to do with some transient state of the network when the Agent wakes the machine up to run the job that is being treated differently after the Agent update than before. Like the Agent is running before the rest of the network stack has its act together or something.

I would then suggest opening a ticket to get Support to check the logs of the Agents to see what could potentially be causing it.  Since it works most times if you can live with it go that direction, but if it bothers you then troubleshooting has to be done based on feedback or with support.

Comment