Solved

Quantum DXi V5000 integration with Veeam - Veeam Data Mover service is not enabled

Userlevel 2

Hi all,

I would like to use Quantum DXi V5000 as deduplication storage appliance

Unfortunately, when adding deduplication storage appliance, there is an error message, that there is no Veeam Data Mover service enabled on the virtual storage appliance

To enable Veeam Data Mover service I need to install Veeam Data Mover on the appliance…. The issue is that I do not know default root password for Quantum DXi V5000 and adding non-root user to sudoers file didnt help.

Is there any option to manually install Veeam Data Mover on linux based machine?

icon

Best answer by GreenHenry 27 May 2022, 10:03

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 2

Hi all, finally I have added Quantum DXiV5000 as deduplicating storage appliance into Veeam (as backup repository). First of all, it was needed to use the user "veeam" when choosing the appliance. Secondly, the default user "veeam" has to have ssh access allowed. In order to do that, I had to change config file (in /etc/ssh/sshd_config – PermitRootLogin yes). Then, it was possible to add Quantum DXiV5000 as deduplicating storage appliance. Thanks to all for your support and help!

Userlevel 2

Now, it seems, that Veeam transport services have been installed. Simply, I have changed rights on the folder /opt. There is only an issue with the certificate, but I think it is nothing relevant for adding deduplication appliance..  However, still I am facing the error message "Specified share is not Veeam Data Mover enabled"

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@GreenHenry  do you have joined Dxi to workgroup.

In quantum's guide has it create a cifs share. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you joined Dxi V5000 to the workgroup or domain?

Go to page 30 

My Document (quantum.com)

creates a CIFS share

Nope, I have created NFS share because it is much easier in LAB environment

This should then connect to Veeam without issue. I can post back Friday with my configuration as I am at VeeamON this week.

Userlevel 2

Go to page 30 

creates a CIFS share

Nope, I have created NFS share because it is much easier in LAB environment

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Go to page 30 

creates a CIFS share

Userlevel 2

Hi @Chris.Childerhose, unfortunately, there is no option how to make my share being Veeam Data Mover enabled :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Be sure to also set up a share for NFS as well. It seems Veeam uses that when adding the appliance.

Userlevel 2

Now, I see something even stranger. I have choosen right IP address of the appliance and I am sure VDMS is enabled, but Veeam thinks something different:

Userlevel 2

Hi @Chris.Childerhose, thank you so much for an useful piece of advice!

However, I was googling quite a lot, I didnt realised I have to enable VDMS. Unfortunately, after enabling VDMS I am still strugling with an error - Installing Veeam Data Mover service Error: mkdir: cannot create directory '/opt/veeam/': Permission denied .

Indeed, I used the user, that I have created under VDMS settings. Moreover, I have added him to sudoers file. Althoug, for some reason ssh access is failing. On the other hand, I was trying to use other users as well, that were in sudoers file and ssh was possible, but still there is error regarding permissions

Were you facing the same issue when trying to use Quantum as Deduplication storage appliance withing Veeam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My DXi V5000 unit I set up with - 4 vCPU and 24GB RAM by the way.

Wow, why so many RAM?

That option you need to turn on for Veeam requires 16GB or something like that.  😂

Nice to know! I definitely need more RAM for my homelab. 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow, why so many RAM?

That option you need to turn on for Veeam requires 16GB or something like that.  😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wow, why so many RAM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @GreenHenry - you need to enable the VDMS setting in the DXi V5000 here but it does require more RAM for the appliance though FYI.

Once you do this it will work with Veeam.  I have it running at home in my lab.  This is the setting for the Data Mover piece for Veeam.

Comment