Question

Cannot remove Snapshot

Userlevel 1

Hi all, i have a 2019 windows server virtual on Hyper-v enviroment. i have three snapshot create from Veeam community ed. that a cannot delete.

hov can i do ?? thank you

Riccardo

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @RiccardoDaRos ...are these snaps on the VMs you backed up? Are the VMs not being backed up currently? I don't use Hyper-V in my environment, but in vSphere sometimes Veeam snaps stay on the backed up VMs. To remove them, at least in VMware, you have to take a snap of the VM, retain the snap for a minute or two, then you commit all the snapshots. My assumption is this is the same for Hyper-V. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @RiccardoDaRos 

Make sure that checkpoint is enabled in integrated services. If enabled, make sure there is enough free space in the datastore.

Make sure you configured the antivirus exclusion list:

https://www.veeam.com/kb1999

Some viruses lock the deleting of snapshot, so make sure that your Hyper-V host is free from viruses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can use either Hyper-V Manager to remove the snapshots or PowerShell as well.  Here is how in Hyper-V Manager.

Hyper-V Manager Console with Delete Checkpoint option shown

For PowerShell you can use -

Get-VM -Name <VMName> | Get-VMSnapShot -Name <CheckpointName> | Remove-VMSnapshot

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you have an off-host proxy? It could have a mounted snapshot as hot-add for VMWare..

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can use either Hyper-V Manager to remove the snapshots or PowerShell as well.  Here is how in Hyper-V Manager.

Hyper-V Manager Console with Delete Checkpoint option shown

For PowerShell you can use -

Get-VM -Name <VMName> | Get-VMSnapShot -Name <CheckpointName> | Remove-VMSnapshot

Hope this helps.

Hi @RiccardoDaRos, have you tried any of these steps mentioned by @Chris.Childerhose . Unfortunately, there are no images from you. What state is the checkpoint in?

Comment