Question

Cannot find EFI boot manager entry for EFI System Partition GUID

Userlevel 3

I have two NVMe SSD-s. One has Windows 10 installed, the other one has Linux Mint 21.1. I boot from the linux one, it has an entry to windows as well.

When I am backing up the linux system with veeam, I have a warn:

The linux partitions looks like this:

szabkel@mint10900:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/nvme0n1
[sudo] password for szabkel:
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 931,51 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Disk model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 0FFFD452-185F-4DF1-B369-48B00892351F

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 206847 204800 100M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2 206848 239615 32768 16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/nvme0n1p3 239616 1953523711 1953284096 931,4G Microsoft basic data

szabkel@mint10900:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/nvme1n1
Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 953,87 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: ADATA SX8200PNP
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 0E9690A3-2899-4952-9F7A-4D44FBFBD0F2

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme1n1p1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/nvme1n1p2 1050624 2000408575 1999357952 953,4G Linux filesystem

I can’t find the GUID mentioned by veeam. None of the disks/partitions have a guid like this.

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @szabkel Welcome to the Community Forums!

Are you able to access BCDEdit when booting into Windows?

It sounds like that GUID might be the identifier for Windows. This might help: BCDEdit Notes (mistyprojects.co.uk)

Userlevel 3

Hi @szabkel Welcome to the Community Forums!

It sounds like that GUID might be the identifier for Windows. This might help: BCDEdit Notes (mistyprojects.co.uk)

Hello.

I probably can and I will check, but I am only backing up the Linux partitions (volume level backup for nvme1ne).

If It is the windows guid, can I ignore this warning? Windows have a different agent backing it up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello.

I probably can and I will check, but I am only backing up the Linux partitions (volume level backup for nvme1ne).

If It is the windows guid, can I ignore this warning? Windows have a different agent backing it up.

Are you using UEFI for your BIOS? It might be worth performing a restore on another drive just to be on the safe side to make sure it works. In theory you should be ok. 

Userlevel 3

Hello.

Are you using UEFI for your BIOS? It might be worth performing a restore on another drive just to be on the safe side to make sure it works. In theory you should be ok. 

I ran ‘bcdedit /enum ALL` on windows, but the GUID from the warning is not in the result.

I use UEFI for both OS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @szabkel - welcome! It seems, for whatever reason, the Agent is trying to detect a boot volume on your Linux partition. If you run df -hT, I think it’ll show you don’t have one on your partitons.

I’d check with Veeam Support, but if your jobs are successful, you can probably ignore the warning. As long as it’s not a job failure, you should be ok...but again check with Support. As @dips mentions...the only way to be certain is to attempt a test restore if you have a test device (like a VM) you can perform a test restore on.

Userlevel 3

Hi @szabkel - welcome! It seems, for whatever reason, the Agent is trying to detect a boot volume on your Linux partition. If you run df -hT, I think it’ll show you don’t have one on your partitons.

I’d check with Veeam Support, but if your jobs are successful, you can probably ignore the warning. As long as it’s not a job failure, you should be ok...but again check with Support. As @dips mentions...the only way to be certain is to attempt a test restore if you have a test device (like a VM) you can perform a test restore on.

For me, it looks the same:

Userlevel 3

I tried to restore the linux backup to a VM, but it failed.:

(there are no logs in the repository, the user I used can only read that share.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah ok...so you do. Hmm…. you can check what the UUID of your partiton is by running: sudo blkid /dev/nvme0n1p1

At this point, if you have concerns about the restore-ability of your backup, I’d contact Support.

Userlevel 3

Ah ok...so you do. Hmm…. you can check what the UUID of your partiton is by running: sudo blkid /dev/nvme0n1p1

At this point, if you have concerns about the restore-ability of your backup, I’d contact Support.

Okay, I missed this somehow. The /dev/nvme1n1p1 is the one mentioned by veeam when backing up.

Userlevel 3

When I setup the backup job and select a volume, veeam displays me this:

Userlevel 3

Also, there is no point for me to write to the support. Last ticket I tried they ignored it and after a while it was auto closed without the option for me to reopen it.

Userlevel 3

Okay, from this, it looks like the boot sector is on the window disk somehow?

I don’t really understand this, because if I select the windows ssd as a boot device in bios, I boot into windows immediately. If I select the linux ssd, grub is displayed with options to select linux mint or windows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah..if you’re using the free version (Community Edition) of the Agents, you can contact Support, but as I understand it, it’s a “best effort’ thing. Odd they auto-close your Case without any response though.

I’m kind of outta suggestions at this point @szabkel . Sorry I couldn’t assist you further. But, it appears your backups run ok, but just with a Warning. You could always ask folks on the Veeam Forum to see if they encountered your error/issue. I’d start with the link I provided for Linux Agent, even though it appears you use both, since this is where your Warning stems from.

Userlevel 3

Forum post: https://forums.veeam.com/post491475.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hopefully you get a response. PMs tend to monitor there, so maybe they can chime in as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yep, sorry I don’t have anything more to add. @coolsport00 has pretty much been very thorough 

Comment