Solved

Can't install Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.1 on Windows 11

Userlevel 2

I know there is a related topic with the same problem but that one is for version 5.0.0

There is a known problem with Windows 11 and the installation of Microsoft SQL Server where the engine will not install unless it is installed on a different drive or VHD.

I understand Veeam Agent for Windows uses SQL Server technology which is probably why it fails to install.

Question 1: Is Veeam working on a solution independent of Microsoft?

Question 2: I installed SQL Server 2019 Express with support for local DB but Veeam Agent for Windows still fails. Is there any way to have Veeam use the existing (operational) engine instead of attempting to install its own SQL engine? I read somewhere that they are using SQL 2012 but I haven’t tried preinstalling that version.

Question 3: Is there any way to trick Veeam into installing on a different drive?

I use Veeam at work and have been pretty happy with this product for home use. I already temporarily installed another backup solution but would love to go back to Veeam.

Thanks...

icon

Best answer by KC9KC9 17 December 2021, 21:32

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @KC9KC9 

I recommend to ask this question in the R&D Forums.

If you need an official answer from the product team, then the forums are the better place to ask. 

As far as I know, veeam is working on an alternative solution for the configuration database from the veeam Agent. But that can take until V12 to release. Or later if it‘s not planned in this release. That could answer Question 1 and 1 :)

I don‘t think, Question 3 is possible.

Userlevel 2

Posted to R&D… Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Your welcome. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@KC9KC9 just for info, yesterday I installed Veeam Agent 5.0.1 on my Windows 11 wks without any problems, what’s the error you got?
Because, @Mildur correct me if I’m wrong, Windows 11 21H2 is now fully supported from Agent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@marcofabbri 

yes, supported with Agent 5.0.1 (and V11a).

https://www.veeam.com/kb4215

- Windows 11 is officially supported with 11a.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@marcofabbri

yes, supported with Agent 5.0.1 (and V11a).

https://www.veeam.com/kb4215

- Windows 11 is officially supported with 11a.

Exactly :)

Userlevel 2

I tried installing VAW 5.0.1.4584 multiple times and at the end it tries to start the service for a long time then fails. There is an option to retry which fails. I removed all the Microsoft SQL Server components, rebooted then tried installing VAW with no luck. When I found the trick to install SQL Express I did so using a VHDX as the instance drive and was able to complete the SQL installation on the first attempt. Then I tried to install VAW with no luck so I removed VAW (again) and installed another endpoint backup software. All of this was done on one Windows 11 laptop which was previously a Windows 10 running VAW 5.x

I’ll just tried it on a clean Win 11 and the installation went through fine…

Let me check if the logs were left behind on the other PC to see if there are any clues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is most likely a problem caused by the upgrade, try and let us know!

Userlevel 2
Today I got a response from another user on the Veeam R&D Forum that seems like a solution. I’ll try this tonight and report back on Monday. His drive is the same as mine (Samsung 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, 1 TB)

equilax

Novice

Liked: never

Unfortunately i could not edit my previous post. I have found a workaround.

In fact, the physical sector size seems to be larger:

Code: Select all

fsutil fsinfo sectorinfo c:

Logische Bytes pro Sektor: 512
Physische Bytes pro Sektor für Unteilbarkeit: 32768
Physische Bytes pro Sektor für Leistung: 32768
Effekt. phys. Bytes/Sektor für Unteilbark. in Dateisystem:4096
There seems to be a problem with SQL Express on Windows 11 that the physical sector size is returned, which prevents the DB from starting.

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions ... 824#303824

For me the method described there worked to set the trace flag -T1800.

For SQL Express 2012 version:

New-Item -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Name 'SQLArg0' -Value "-T1800" -PropertyType String -Force
After restarting the computer, the Veeam Agent now works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for sharing @KC9KC9 

I had opened a thread on the most particular and strange errors in Italian, maybe needed an english too because even this was not easy!

Userlevel 2

EUREKA… IT WORKS!!!

I’m finally able to resume using Veeam Agent for Windows on my PC.

It turns out that it was the swapping of my NvME drive from 250 GB to 1 TB that messed things up (Samsung 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, 1 TB) .

Thanks to Andreas aka equilax for figuring this out

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also there is a new Agent version 5.0.2 from the lastest cumulative patch for 11a that supports Win11.  See here - New Cumulative Patch for Veeam Backup & Replication 11a - 11.0.1.1261 P20211211 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

[...]

New-Item -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Name 'SQLArg0' -Value "-T1800" -PropertyType String -Force

Bro, this got my Veeam back to work.

Current updates at 2021-12-28, Windows 11.

I entered the two commands above in admin powershell, restarted (tbh, I forgot to restart …), then it didn’t work right away. I went back to registry, found that the entries were not set, but set for MSSQL15E, entered them manually, restarted → Veeam works instantly. Great job!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
[...]

Bro, this got my Veeam back to work.

Current updates at 2021-12-28, Windows 11.

I entered the two commands above in admin powershell, restarted (tbh, I forgot to restart …), then it didn’t work right away. I went back to registry, found that the entries were not set, but set for MSSQL15E, entered them manually, restarted → Veeam works instantly. Great job!

Very nice piece of knowledge!

Comment