Solved

Backup Service Not Starting

• 6 September 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 3

After doing a cold boot of the host server, the Veeam backup service has failed to run or come back online. When trying to connect through the client we receive the error message of “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:9392”

After checking the logs, we’ve found an error stating that it failed to fetch logical page (1:21805) in database 5 failed. It belongs to allocation unit 72057594191544320 not to 72057594190823424

icon

Best answer by BradShaver 11 September 2023, 17:44

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hello, that error is coming from SQL Server, so I suspect there might be issues with your Veeam B&R database. If the SQL Server service (or the database) is not available, the Veeam Backup service will fail to start. I would advise troubleshooting the situation at the SQL Server level, you can also try to open a support case with Veeam.

Here you can find some information and a possible course of action: Attempt to fetch logical page (1:192479) in database 7 failed. It belongs to allocation unit 72057594061062144 not to 72057594059685888 - Microsoft Q&A

Userlevel 3

Hi @DChiavari I had also reached out to support with the same question and they directed me to look at the database. We ended up reinstalling Veeam and importing the backup configuration and license to another server we were planning to originally migrate to anyways. After the reinstallation all of the required services and applications open up like they originally did.

Further research on the error message had also suggested reinstalling the Veeam application so it worked out for our future plan anyways.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

OK, thanks for updating the thread. Indeed, a Veeam Configuration Backup is fundamentally a backup of the database, so restoring from that has restored the Veeam SQL database to a previous, consistent state, fixing the issue.

Hi!
same problem. In my case I had a Veeam V11 server and we migrated it to a new Windows 2019 server with Veeam V12. To do this, we export the configuration from the old server to the new one. The old server had Microsoft SQL and the new Postgre.
Veeam V12 booted a couple of times and then started getting stuck in the boot process. It does not allow you to stop the service or restart it.

After investigating, we realized that if we turned on the old Veeam 11 server, the service on the new server starts fine. Somehow it still depends on the previous sql. We thought that by exporting the configuration of one and then importing it into the new one, the old server was no longer needed.
Surely we overlooked something in the process

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you follow the database migration process from MS SQL to PostgreSQL? Just importing the V11 configuration is not enough…

https://www.veeam.com/blog/switch-sql-server-postgresql-veeam.html

Comment