Question

Teams chat backup option is not showing

I am trying to take backp of MS Teams chat per users, but while adding user in a backup job the team chat option is not showing. I am confirm that user has teams chat data.

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, you need to follow this KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb4340

If you’re not aware and wondering why this isn’t an “enabled by default” setting, this is because the teams chat API is “metered” so you’ll pay per message processed. At present this also only covers teams channel chats, not 1:1 private conversations, there are multiple reasons why, conversations I’ve had with multiple backup vendors all point the finger at Microsoft’s current implementation of the API. Key comments made to me were it’s “all or nothing” so you can’t just backup specific users, it’s 1x API call per message, and if you have a group chat it’s not just 1 API call per message, it’s 1 API call per message PER RECIPIENT! So sending “hello” to 10 people in a group chat means 10 API calls, as the API is charged per call, it’s expensive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MicoolPaul is right on spot. Teams Chat backup through the protected API has to be enabled manually with the commands in the KB. The upcoming major version of Veeam Backup for Microsoft 635 v8 will have it enabled by default.

The previous EWS method through the hidden mailbox folder was disabled for all tenants by Microsoft a few weeks ago.

Best,

Fabian

Comment