Live-experience : restore guest files with Veeam vs competitor

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This is a short story I recently experienced with a customer of mine…

Some months ago we got a request from Veeam 😉 with an opportunity for a new customer.

This customer was using a lot of standalone Hyper-V hosts in combination with Oracle databases and was using a competitor software as their backup solution.

They were not happy about the stability of the product and neither about the delivered support of the backup-vendor.

Therefore they were searching for other backup-vendors and of course they ended up at Veeam.

They contacted Veeam because they wanted more information about the product and if Veeam could deliver a design that perfectly matches the requirements of the customer.

Veeam transferred this opportunity to my company (being a gold MSP).

The accountmanager of my company and myself had a meeting with this customer to know what their requirements were.

Afterwards I created a design that perfectly matched all their requirements and even more 😉.

The customer was very happy with the design and costs and eventually signed the contract.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the customer to implement the new Veeam backup design.

After a few days, all of a sudden the customer needed to restore 2 simple files from the file-server.

But this had to be done with the competitor backup-software because it was from a week ago and with Veeam I only had some restore  points (3 days or so).

They restored those 2 simple files and that took 45 minutes until they were restored to the original location !!!

As a test, I restored the same files with Veeam (but of course not from the same restore point but a couple of days sooner) and that took 15 seconds !!!

I showed this to the customer, and the customer confirmed they were very pleased and releaved with this new backup-software and design.

The combination of the best backup-software (VEEAM : IT JUST WORKS) and a good design by a certified Veeam architect did this 😉 !!!!

As outcome : a very happy and satisfied customer !!! That’s why we are doing this 😊.

regards,

Nico

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool story.  Nice to see your customer happy with Veeam and goes to show why they are the best. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Nico Losschaert : Happy to see your customer satisfied with Veeam:) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

We had some performance issues with file level restores, too - even with Veeam.

I did not find the tweak up to now to improve the performance…

So, interesting to hear that it is possible. How big were the two files? In my case something around 18 GB had to be restored - in approximately 2000 files. The performance was between < 1 MB to 8 MB/sec.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @Chris.Childerhose and @Inder ;-).

Hi @JMeixner , I know what you mean ;-). If you restore some files using guest restore, the performance is good, even fast (this mostly depends on the speed of the disks of the repository and the transport mode (not applicable for Hyper-v). But I also experienced slow guest file restores when you restore a bunch of files (hundreds, thousands being in a subfolder). There is not much one can do about it (because of decompressing the backup-file and those files are all randomly located). Restore is mostly slower than the backup. So the speed depends on how many/how big the files are and of course the repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Customer satisfaction is all that matters :ok_hand:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Customer satisfaction is all that matters :ok_hand:

That is the main goal for sure. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thx @Chris.Childerhose and @Inder ;-).

Hi @JMeixner , I know what you mean ;-). If you restore some files using guest restore, the performance is good, even fast (this mostly depends on the speed of the disks of the repository and the transport mode (not applicable for Hyper-v). But I also experienced slow guest file restores when you restore a bunch of files (hundreds, thousands being in a subfolder). There is not much one can do about it (because of decompressing the backup-file and those files are all randomly located). Restore is mostly slower than the backup. So the speed depends on how many/how big the files are and of course the repository.

Yes, seems that the restore speed depends on the amount of files.

But in this case the 18 GB took several hours…. Even a restore directly to the backup server was not that fast, but took about 45 minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JMeixner In such a case I would try to go with Instant Disk Recovery, attach the disk to the target VM and copy the files directly. This could achieve a bit more performance, I think.

@Nico Losschaert Nice story. I would say with many other solutions it takes longer to even start a restore, before Veeam finishes it 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@JMeixner , I agree with @regnor , if you need to restore a lot of files, that’s the most performant way.

@regnor , 100% correct as you mention : competitors are still busy populating the list of files while Veeam already restored the files :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I will try the instant disk restore.

Thanks @regnor  and @Nico Losschaert 👍🏼😎

Comment