Community Hub Tips: Full Editor on Mobile Devices

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi everyone,

Did you know it’s possible to access the full desktop editor from a mobile device? I don’t know why all the options are hidden by default but it’s really easy to get them back. All you need to do is change your zoom settings on your web browser. I’ve only tested this in iOS but check my GIF below and you’ll see all the cool options appear when I hit 50% zoom.

Want to return to the mobile optimised editor? Just increase your zoom level back to default and everything will return to normal!

You can do this dynamically whilst making your post, no need to refresh the page each time!

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This setting doesn’t exist in Android as far as I can see… You can zoom in, but not zoom out.

But in Chrome you activate “Desktop Website”, then the same website as on a PC is shown with all options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s good @JMeixner, request desktop site or landscape views do nothing on iOS to change the view.

Now we have a solution for both!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, it works. But the activation of the desktop website triggers a site refresh.

So, activate this before you begin to write….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is interesting but I like the mobile editor. Yes the full one is better but this is good for quick replies. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Interesting that the behavior is different between iOS and Android; or it's because of Safari?

I normally switch to landscape view, which isn't complete but offers much more options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

On Samsung got full editor with 50% zoom too, using Samsung custom browser.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think it depends on the browser.

• Chrome works with desktop website
  • Safari with landscape mode
  • For Firefox I have not found a working option, but it has some functions at various places...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting note on this, changing web browser on iOS is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing, because all iOS web browsers are required to use the WebKit engine used by safari, so although developers can wrap different features into their products such as bookmark sync etc, the core rendering & JavaScript capabilities are governed by what Apple has implemented into WebKit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting note on this, changing web browser on iOS is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing, because all iOS web browsers are required to use the WebKit engine used by safari, so although developers can wrap different features into their products such as bookmark sync etc, the core rendering & JavaScript capabilities are governed by what Apple has implemented into WebKit.

Apple… 🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I actually never had an issue with this by default. I still use iPhone 8 Plus...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I actually never had an issue with this by default. I still use iPhone 8 Plus...

SAME!!! 😁 got mine on launch day, coming up 5 years old now, can feel much more guilt free that I’ve got a good life out of the device if I upgrade at next gen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

SAME!!! 😁 got mine on launch day, coming up 5 years old now, can feel much more guilt free that I’ve got a good life out of the device if I upgrade at next gen.

Exactly! I feel the need to change mine now… Let’s see what happens in September… Maybe iPhone 14 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Interesting as I was wanting to research mobile platform support (or mobile app/maybe for the control panel). 

Comment