Solved

Pre-Job Scripts not working

Userlevel 4
Badge

I did a lot of testing with B&R 12 already and I learned a lot so far. But yesterday I ran into a new problem.

I have my Backup Server which runs Veeam B&R 12 as domain administrator (using windows authentication to open and run Veeam). Then I have a backup repository on an other machine in my LAN. This machine is equiped with a Tandberg RDX drive. I run full backup jobs every day on these rotating drives. The job shall delete all backups on the disk and run a fresh full backup. This does not work for some reason. So I delete the RDX disks manually (via Windows scheduler) and considered this could be done with a Veeam Pre-Job-Script too. Well, it wont work. I use psexec64.exe to delete content on the machine with the RDX drive. The scipt (.cmd) I wrote works fine under my admin account. No problems when i launch it in cmd or simply double-click it. Script does what it shall do.

For some reason this script does not work as Pre-Job-Script. I belive its a problem with a lack of privileges of the account running the Veeam Services. I couldnt really find a manual here, how to assign the neccessarry privileges to the right account. Everything I tried so far didnt work. So could some1 please explain to me, which account has to have which rights and privileges to run a Pre-Job-Script and how to assign such privileges?

Thankes a lot in advance!

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 17 March 2023, 13:59

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

Done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well I marked the wrong answer accidently… I dont find a way to change the “best answer”. Is there a way?

We can ask @Madi.Cristil and @safiya to change it.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Well I marked the wrong answer accidently… I dont find a way to change the “best answer”. Is there a way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thankes Chris, your advice was golden. I know there should be a more differentiated user and user-rights strategy, but I simply tried to change the Veeam Services from “local system” to “domain admin” account and the Pre-Job script works like charming. I might create an own user for the Veeam Services (having sufficient rights), but for now I am happy that I found out the reason :) Thankes again!

Glad you figured it out.  Yeah, it can be a pain but using a service account with the right permissions makes things easier.  😎

Too bad my answer was not marked though. 😋

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thankes Chris, your advice was golden. I know there should be a more differentiated user and user-rights strategy, but I simply tried to change the Veeam Services from “local system” to “domain admin” account and the Pre-Job script works like charming. I might create an own user for the Veeam Services (having sufficient rights), but for now I am happy that I found out the reason :) Thankes again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thankes guys, but i went through all those documentations already. Problem is, that Veeam doesnt tell me anything about the reason or lack of rights or something like that. The Pre-Job scripts simply doesnt launch. The whole backup job gets stuck by that. When I manually stop the job, I get “ Error running pre-job script: Operation was canceled by user” or a simple “timed out”.

Meanwhile I found out by myself, that the Veeam Console is run by either local or domain Adminstrator account, while the Veeam Services are run by the local system account. So… can any1 please explain, where in Windows I can assign what rights and privileges to local system account, that Pre-Job Scripts are launching? In my understanding the “local system account” should have highest privileges anyway, but I might be wrong...

The local system account is typically the machine Administrator account.  The server you are trying to run the script on is it Workgroup or Domain joined?  If Domain joined, then you might need to change the services for Veeam to use a service account and then also add that account with privileges on the server you want to back up.  It gets tricky when mixing WG and Domain but if the local Administrator account on all servers has the same password (example is using a template for deployment) then technically it should work.  A little bit of trial and error is all it takes to get it going.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thankes guys, but i went through all those documentations already. Problem is, that Veeam doesnt tell me anything about the reason or lack of rights or something like that. The Pre-Job scripts simply doesnt launch. The whole backup job gets stuck by that. When I manually stop the job, I get “ Error running pre-job script: Operation was canceled by user” or a simple “timed out”.

Meanwhile I found out by myself, that the Veeam Console is run by either local or domain Adminstrator account, while the Veeam Services are run by the local system account. So… can any1 please explain, where in Windows I can assign what rights and privileges to local system account, that Pre-Job Scripts are launching? In my understanding the “local system account” should have highest privileges anyway, but I might be wrong...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you look at the note on this page you can see the script runs as the service account for Veeam so if that account does not have the same permissions as your admin account then that is the issue.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_job_advanced_scripts_vm.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Michail,

what error are you getting on Veeam job ?

The official documentation regarding permissions needed for guest os/scripts are:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/required_permissions.html?ver=120#performing-guest-processing

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/pre_post_scripts.html?ver=120

Comment