Is Object Storage ready for primary storage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This week at VeeamON we will get a lot of information about VBR’s v12 new capabilities to use Object Storage as primary backup target. For many customers this is most often the use case of Object Storage: Backup. But not all are of this opinion of course! For example VMware vSAN is an Object Storage. Also MinIO says it is primary storage

I would be interested what the community thinks of this? Is Object Storage ready for primary storage? What are your experiences with it?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is probably my top focus….I’m interested to see all new v12 features, but object-storage is something that we’re expanding heavily on with our clients via Wasabi for copy jobs, but we have some folks using it for backup jobs as well and I’m extremely curious about using it as primary storage.  We don’t have many folks in the cloud for their general compute, but things keep slowly creeping that way at times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

In my personal opinion, Primary and Objet Storage depends on the use case, but they want to get all of them universal, to get a much better transition and movements between on-prem and cloud.
Just need to take good decisions depending on what you are storing and the use.
I believe one day, it will be just, Storage, and will take care of everything from behind.

(sometimes Im a litte “dreamer”). XD.

Good word: “it will be just storage!” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Looking forward to this for sure this week.

In my personal opinion, Primary and Objet Storage depends on the use case, but they want to get all of them universal, to get a much better transition and movements between on-prem and cloud.
Just need to take good decisions depending on what you are storing and the use.
I believe one day, it will be just, Storage, and will take care of everything from behind.

(sometimes Im a litte “dreamer”). XD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It already is ‘primary storage’ for some applications; especially as you consider the cloud and some applications there. I definitely think it is coming into a time where it is a first class citizen among storage protocols.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I will first follow the examples of implementation and the technological choices. It must be taken into account that it will require performance-oriented object storage, this is not necessarily the case for certain solutions which are archive-oriented.
I will follow the limitations of object storage vs linux repo and especially a performance comparison.

Minio on baremetal with lots of disks could be interesting too.

Also, this is going to be implementation dependent. I'm quite skeptical of having two media as objects. I don't like having my eggs in one basket, but why not tier performance objects and copying on tapes?

Comment