Solved

Huawei Plug-In for Veeam Backup & Replication

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

In this KB https://www.veeam.com/kb4027 The Huawei Plug-In for Veeam Backup & Replication reached End-of-Life on 2022-04-22 and is no longer available. VBR cannot call Huawei storage with it’s API to complete the backup job with storage’s snapshots.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=110

In user guide of VBR v11, Veeam Backup & Replication does not offer integration with Huawei storage.

According to the above, Veeam VBR cannot support any backup integration with Huawei storage. If the environment only includes VMware ESXi 7 and Huawei storage, what is recommended backup mode can be selected in VBR v11?

icon

Best answer by haslund 23 August 2022, 13:28

View original

12 comments

Is there any progress on this matter?

Veeam 11 is getting close to EOS...

there wont be any update on this, seeing that the plugin is EoL. And don’t expect to get a new plugin, seeing Huawei is Chinese and Veeam is American…

I would advise you to get in contact with either Huawei or get support by a Veeam partner to help you

on changing your environment to make it work with v12.

hmm - I think Lenovo ist Chinese as well - and is promoted and integrated by Veeam...

Badge

there wont be any update on this, seeing that the plugin is EoL. And don’t expect to get a new plugin, seeing Huawei is Chinese and Veeam is American…

I would advise you to get in contact with either Huawei or get support by a Veeam partner to help you on changing your environment to make it work with v12.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

FYI: even though it’s EOL, the Huawei plugin together with Veeam V11 still works.

@B. ten Velden Please not that the Huawei Plugin is not available on next version (Veeam v12).

Badge

FYI: even though it’s EOL, the Huawei plugin together with Veeam V11 still works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Non Huawei-specific, but definitely recommend direct storage access before going back to using proxy’s, or network mode.  I haven’t performed any backups from storage snapshots, but I’ve had really great success with direct storage access.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you have physical proxies, then fastest option would be to also connect them via FC and then use Direct Storage Access (Direct SAN). It just wouldn’t be able to use storage snapshots.

I also prefer this option. Thanks for your recommendation. @haslund 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Even though the Huawei storage integration is no longer available you can still backup VM data from that array through Direct SAN access, hotadd (virtual appliance mode) and NBD (network) mode.  

I would recommend the same modes in that order.  Direct would be best if you can swing it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Even though the Huawei storage integration is no longer available you can still backup VM data from that array through Direct SAN access, hotadd (virtual appliance mode) and NBD (network) mode.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you have physical proxies, then fastest option would be to also connect them via FC and then use Direct Storage Access (Direct SAN). It just wouldn’t be able to use storage snapshots.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

How are you connected to the Huawei storage from your hosts?

Yes. All ESXi hosts are connected to Hauwei storage by FC Channel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How are you connected to the Huawei storage from your hosts?

Comment